Director, Health Policy Project
The Director of Health Policy Project sets the overall vision and strategic goals for UnidosUS health policy work. The Director will be responsible for a team of experts that address issues related to expanding and strengthening the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and Medicaid, expanding immigrant access to the social safety net, investing in and improving federal nutrition programs, and establishing new policy initiatives to advance Latino health equity. In addition to internal leadership responsibilities, the Director serves as an institutional spokesperson on Latino health policy, representing UnidosUS priorities in external meetings, including those with congressional staff, policymakers, experts, and issue stakeholders. This position leads efforts to provide decisionmakers, community leaders, and stakeholders with timely and relevant information that shapes the content of policy proposals emanating from Congress, state governments, and administrative agencies. They will also coordinate, develop, and participate in public policy forums and summits, briefings, and other events where relevant policy matters are discussed.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and their larger interrelated systems. The Director will be part of the Policy and Advocacy component’s management team and will report directly to the Senior Director of Public Policy. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Set strategic direction and goal setting for the Health Policy Project.
- Conduct policy analysis and develop advocacy tactics in support of health access, coverage, and nutrition.
- Establish and nurture relevant relationships with allies, partners, supporters, policymakers, administrators, and Affiliate leaders.
- Recruit, hire, manage, and evaluate health policy staff.
- Manage and direct fundraising efforts in support of health policy and research work.
- Manage a budget of $800,000 to $1.5 million.
- Serve as a spokesperson internally and externally on health policy.
- Bachelor’s and master’s degree in related field required.
- Twelve (12) to sixteen (16) years of relevant experience in policy and legislative environment.
- Demonstrated success communicating health policy ideas in public settings such as congressional hearings, major conferences, or written materials such as reports, or issue briefs required.
- Broad experience managing a large budget preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years supervisory experience required.
- Previous experience in supervising and growing a team, fundraising, media, and messaging experience required.
- Experience with and understanding of economic issues facing Latino, immigrant, or low-income communities required.
- Demonstrated experience with program planning, staff evaluations, and project management.
- Relevant experience with community-based organizations and or advocacy at local or national levels, a plus.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization or on Capitol Hill a plus.
- Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values (Excellence, Accountability, Respeto).
- Commitment to U.S. Latino community, Latino non-profit organizations, and the Latino market.
- Demonstrated experience working in non-profits, community-based organizations, and diverse communities.
- High degree of independence, initiative, and ability to work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision required.
- Willingness to carry out a wide range of activities, including professional and logistical tasks.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite more specifically, Office 365, statistical software, data sources, and internet queries required.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills a plus.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample will be considered for this opportunity.
SEND COVER LETTER, RÉSUMÉ, AND WRITING SAMPLE TO:
Subject Line: Director, Health Policy Project
Attn: Senior Vice President, Policy and Advocacy
No phone calls please!
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion of a background screen.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-08-29