Director, Internal Communications
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world – picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
We are seeking a proven internal communications leader who can connect with stakeholders and balance their interests; set priorities; and lead a global team of communication professionals, who will perform efficiently in a fast-paced and environment.
The Director of Internal Communications is responsible for executing the global employee communications and engagement strategy for Ciena. This person guides team members and oversees communications plans for a wide range of activities designed to inform, educate and activate employees through the use of a balanced mix of channels (existing and new) to maximize the reach and consumption of key messages and content. This individual will also seek to enhance communication skills across the company and improve understanding of internal communications approaches to enable and empower employee participation in and contributions to internal dialogue.
With a multifaceted audience group of nearly 7000 people across all time zones, this role requires a high degree of business acumen, flexibility and global/cultural awareness.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and coordinate internal communications activity across the company/globe.
- Establish and provide strategic counsel of internal communications policies and procedures; messaging and content; channels and timing.
- Drive appropriate tone of voice aligned to the company’s brand positioning and individual leader personalities.
- Lead and manage a team to act as consultants and support staff to regional and functional leaders on employee and team communications. Management oversight of and contribution to team’s activities, including:
- Use and promotion of Ciena’s corporate intranet (design, content and development) as a primary channel.
- Drafting, editing and facilitation of approvals of internal communications; coordination of timing and distribution of those communications.
- Development and execution of internal campaigns and activities that advance Ciena’s cultural anchors, including corporate social responsibility; People Promise; Inclusivity, Diversity & Belonging; Global Wellbeing; etc.
- Execution of company-wide events (ex. Quarterly All-Hands meetings) and design of company-wide communications plans to share functional event information/playbacks (ex. annual sales meeting; annual R&D forum).
- Establish and monitor KPIs that measure the impact of internal communications; implement improvements to program based on the insights.
- Contribute to the design, development and implementation of Ciena’s employer brand, working with HR and corporate marketing.
- Forecast, track and monitor all internal communications investments globally – budget ~$1M.
- Continually make informed recommendations based on professional best practices for maintaining a best-in-class internal communications program.
- Well-rounded internal communications generalist with global experience
- Exceptional communication skills – written, oral, and interpersonal
- Demonstrated project management capability
- Flexible attitude in a fast-paced environment with changing opportunities and priorities
- Strong judgement skills and instincts
- Good business acumen; ability to interface with senior executives when needed
- Strong influencing and relationship-building ability to set a direction and get others behind it
- Cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Pragmatic, detail-oriented and resourceful
- Confident, creative, decisive thinker
- Empathetic leadership style
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Marketing, Communications, English, Journalism or equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in Internal Communications in a global corporate setting, preferably in a B2B environment
- Ownership of large-scale internal communications programs, preferably at the enterprise/corporate level
- Management experience of direct reports
- Knowledge of technology/telecom industry experience is a plus
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-09