Director, International Government Relations
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
- Bring Strengths in Advocacy, Business Knowledge, Judgement, and Process Management to successfully lead Government Affairs efforts for Abbott on key international health and economic policy issues.
- Lead cross-functional teams to protect and advance Abbott’s interests and its business units before Government Agencies/Ministries, International Organizations, Diplomats, Trade/Business Associations, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), Patient/Practitioner Groups and other Allies and Influencers (Suppliers, Think Tanks, Employees, etc).
- Recruit, train and manage high performing GA team to drive policy and advocacy efforts.
- Develop superior political, policy and influencer networks for Abbott by coordinating the building of strong internal and external networks to cover key targets. Ensure that Abbott team has skills needed to build and maintain effective networks.
- Build the reputation of Abbott GA as the preferred, go-to trusted partner, honest brokers who drive for constructive solutions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with specifically assigned key members with great importance to Abbott’s goals and objectives. This involves identifying key targets, prioritizing resources, networking with their office staffs and developing outreach programs.
- Stay apprised of business goals and strategies in order to assess impact to Abbott from national and international policymaking activities. Consult with appropriate business and corporate personnel in making such determinations, providing recommendations for formulation of action plans.
- Identify health care, economic and other policy developments that could impact Abbott’s business and operation. Proactively identify opportunities for Abbott to pursue favorable government policies and effectively defend Abbott against government policies that could harm shareholder interests. Drive efforts of GA team to positively address these policies.
- Review and analyze legislative and executive branch activities in consultation with appropriate business and corporate personnel to assess the level of impact to the company.
- Develop proactive policy and strategic plans to influence legislation and agency actions for both macro and business/product specific initiatives. Develop successful positioning the right content (data), emotional understanding and political sensitivity.
- Develop and successfully implement action plans by working with relevant business and corporate personnel and when appropriate, with outside allies, coalitions and trade associations.
- Increase the management and business unit understanding of, and participation in the policymaking and political process on behalf of Abbott. This involves collaboration with the business units for input on critical issues and involving appropriate executives to advance Abbott’s positions with policymakers.
- Deliver strong messaging in support of Abbott positions – combining the right substance, with a credible, trusted approach. Work collaboratively with PA and other functions as necessary to ensure message consistency and delivery to key targets via appropriate channels.
- Position requires exceptional level of influencing and managing relationships within and outside of Abbott to develop, implement, and coordinate strategic direction, action plans and tactics.
- Proven ability in delivering successful/favorable policy and advocacy results.
- Proven results in influencing policymakers and staffs, directly and indirectly.
- Strength in training others to build, maintain, manage and utilize strong networks.
- Effective relationships with members of health care, business and international health and economic policy community.
- Ability to interface well with key policymakers at senior levels, major ally and association policy teams, NGOs, other key influencers and with Abbott executives;
- Experience with government and international organization processes/rules/systems.
- Strong skill in understanding the intent of proposed policies/guidelines/regulations and the ability to assess the extent to which they support or conflict with Abbott positions or interests;
- Thorough knowledge of international policymaking process and government programs. Ability to work across government arenas impacting Abbott – reimbursement/payment, regulatory process and product-specific issues;
- Understanding of health care market mechanisms-insurance, hospital/ other institutional providers and professionals/clinicians, key player strategies (i.e., pharmacies, employers, consumers, etc.);
- Understanding of economic market mechanisms – tax, currency, trade – that will impact Abbott.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, both written and oral to synthesize key government issues, develop strategy, communicate and persuade constituencies towards specific actions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong analytical skills to dissect complex range of public issues and assess impact to Abbott. High degree of strategic thinking, decision-making, and tactical skills to develop broad strategy, options and recommendations to address issues expeditiously. Proven ability to coordinate internally and externally with other organizations to promote Abbott’s position on tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required, a master’s degree in Public Policy or Public Health is preferable. Legal degree a plus.
- Ten years minimum in positions of increasing responsibility and experience in government affairs or public policy in best in class health care/consumer products industry is strongly desired.
- Proven extensive contact network, involvement and success in influencing the development of govern policies and strong knowledge of the process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-13