Director for Latin America & the Carribean
This senior position is responsible for providing strategic leadership and vision for all Freedom House (FH) activities in and related to Latin America, primarily on-the-ground donor-funded programming activities, but also policy research and advocacy, in line with FH’s mission and strategic framework. The position requires a candidate with deep knowledge of democracy and governance issues throughout the region, relationships there (including with civil society organizations (CSOs), government entities, the diplomatic community, etc.), and relationships with relevant USG entities (including USG donors supporting democracy programs in the region). These qualifications must be combined with a proven record of: designing and implementing innovative USG-funded democracy programming throughout the region that produces verifiable results; designing and carrying out successful policy research and policy advocacy initiatives before the U.S. Congress and executive branch; and effectively leading and managing diverse staff, including overseas operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, international relations, or related field strongly preferred
Expertise and Experience:
- Mastery of democracy principles and governing domestic and international institutions, instruments, and processes
- Expertise in democracy challenges in the Latin America region and in-depth understanding of socio-political, economic, and anthropological factors affecting these challenges in that region
- Experience working in support of democracy in the Latin America region, including (most importantly) designing, procuring funding for, and implementing donor-funded democracy programs in the region, conducting and publishing research, and leading advocacy initiatives
- Proven ability to clearly communicate complex concepts verbally and in writing
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish
- Existing relationships of trust and collaboration with peer organizations working on democracy issues, local actors across assigned region, and USG agencies and entities
- Eight or more years of experience leading and managing staff, including minimum of two years managing senior staff. Proven ability to recruit highly capable staff, manage and motivate personnel, and lead diverse teams. Strong ability to lead by example, with integrity, purpose, and commitment to attainment of FH goals
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter .
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-04