Director, Legislative & Corporate Engagement Strategy
Develop strategy, coordinate, support and execute CR’s legislative and corporate engagement activities for the Advocacy team. Thoughtfully partner with VP, Advocacy, Director, Mobilization, and senior leaders in Advocacy to optimize and coordinate CR’s relationships, strategies, tactics, and approach in driving advocacy goals. Scope includes legislative strategies at both the federal and state level and efforts to drive marketplace change by partnering with or engaging in public campaigns to change the behaviors of corporations and manufacturers.
At Consumer Reports, we’re building a diverse workforce that reflects our society, embraces new ways of thinking, celebrates a wide breadth of experiences, and reflects all of the audiences we serve. Inclusion means valuing the uniqueness that each staff member brings by creating an environment where everyone is welcome. Our objective is simple: for all employees to feel supported so that they’re set up for success.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s or JD degree preferred.
- 10+ years of leadership experience in legislative or corporate engagement strategy, including 5+ years as a senior leader.
- A track record of accomplished success.
- Demonstrated expertise in federal and state legislative and regulatory processes and related strategies or in developing and leading distributed, participatory, community-driven corporate campaigns; including an understanding of the scale, nuance, players, and political dynamics.
- A strategic, data-driven leader with strong political acumen, communication and interpersonal skills who can forge solid working relationships with colleagues across the organization, as well as external partners.
- Ability to effectively persuade others to listen, commit to, and act on new approaches, and to gain support from others without relying on positional authority; ability to instill trust and integrity.
- Established connections with federal legislators and/or their staff.
- An appreciation and understanding of the consumer movement and its potential impact on corporate and government policy.
- An understanding of marketplace dynamics, the private and public sectors, and opportunities for advancing consumer interests both through direct corporate engagement and through legislative levers.
- Demonstrated ability to speak, write and present information in a clear, concise and compelling manner that is tailored to a particular audience.
With the VP, Advocacy, senior leaders in Advocacy, and Director, Mobilization, plans and coordinates CR’s overall legislative and corporate advocacy strategies; leads related planning; and communicates progress to stakeholders within the organization.
Advises on and supports efforts to ensure marketplace change through corporate campaigns; gathers information from and coordinates with Director, Mobilization and Senior Director, Content Impact and Outreach on all CR corporate engagement efforts as appropriate.
Develops deep understanding of advocacy strategies in CR’s consumer impact areas (cars, food, home, money, tech/privacy) and helps the Advocacy team plan and coordinate related legislative and corporate change efforts, including advice and support to develop and prepare bills and amendments in support of consumer rights and marketplace change.
Directs the work and provides daily management of a team of advocates (based in DC and NY) and directs the legislative strategy efforts of the western and eastern legislative strategy managers.
Develops and maintains strategic relationships with key stakeholders, including Congress, corporations, and allies.
Develops and ensures active maintenance and use of a system to track CR’s legislative relationships and coordinate activities to ensure CR’s engagement is strategic and effective, and integrates this into institutional constituent management systems.
Ensures strong multi-location communication with offices in DC, San Francisco, and New York.
As appropriate, acts as public spokesperson to support CR’s external communications strategy on marketplace change and consumer power (could include media appearances, in-house videos, and quotes or background for publications).
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-02