Director, Legislative and Government Affairs
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals, is seeking a Director, Legislative and Government Affairs in our Washington, D.C. office to develop and strengthen relationships with key Congressional and federal agency stakeholders and Academy strategic partners to successfully achieve the Academy’s public policy goals primarily focusing on reimbursement and health care quality.
- Develop key legislation strategy and policy opportunities and build the necessary relationships with key members of Congress, staff and federal agencies.
- Negotiate with members of Congress and staff and federal agencies as the leader on food, nutrition and health care policies. Helps lead, as a key nutrition policy leader, allied coalitions and partners to promote Academy nutrition policies.
- Attend meetings, hearings and fundraising events as a representative of the Academy.
- Provide support and leadership to the Academy’s Political Action Committee.
- Assist with developing the program of work and ensures fulfillment of the committee charge.
- Develop strategy for disbursement of funds according to department goals with input from the PIA team.
- Monitor relationships and reports outcomes.
- Prepare reports and communications for the committee and communicates regularly with committee leaders to set meeting agendas.
- Write public policy articles, reports regulatory comments and other communications to increase the visibility of the Academy’s policy initiatives and advocacy efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food and Nutrition, Dietetics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field along with 1+ years of academic training. Experience in these policy areas will be considered as well.
- RDN credential and Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- 4-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Hill or Public Policy experience desired.
- Must possess excellent relationship-building, problem-solving and negotiation skills and the ability to interpret policy analysis and research.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to communicate with members at all levels of practice and a variety of audiences, with an understanding of both state and federal government.
- Ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent judgment and relationship building skills when creating and nurturing important relationships on Capitol Hill and federal agencies.
- Ideal candidate will be able to work under tight deadlines while producing a high quality of work.
This position is located in our Washington D.C. office and will not telecommute.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, LTD, tuition reimbursement and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-27