Director, Legislative and Government Relations
Job Description Summary
Plan, develop and administer the overall government relations activities of the University. Serve as liaison to the Rhode Island General Assembly, the Office of the Governor, and the Congressional delegation. Serve as liaison to the Office of Postsecondary Commissioner, Board of Education and Board of Trustees.
Duties and Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Serve as University liaison to the General Assembly, Office of the Governor and assist with the Congressional Delegation.
Provide leadership, guidance, and management of the University’s efforts to increase state funding and promote appropriate legislation for URI and higher education.
Develop strategies to address the legislative needs of the University and higher education, as directed by the President and Board of Trustees.
Advise and recommend action on needed or pending legislation to the executive staff of the University.
Serve as URI’s government relations liaison to the Office of Postsecondary Commissioner.
Serve as liaison to University administrators, faculty members, alumni and campus organizations involved in government relations on behalf of the University.
Develop and cultivate working relationships with the Congressional Delegation and their staffs in order to strengthen the University’s effectiveness at the national level. As requested by the President, assist the work of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development in coordinating events involving the Congressional delegation and Federal agencies in Rhode Island.
Serve a critical role in advancing URI’s mission of diversity, fairness and respect.
Assist the President in developing and implementing communications strategies for government relations projects for the University, including bond referenda.
Manage special projects and assignments as designated by the President.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform other duties as required.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers, printers, word processing, database management and spreadsheet software.
1. Master’s degree in communications, business or related field, or Juris Doctorate.
2. Minimum of five years of combined work experience in mass communications, public relations and government relations.
3. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
4. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
6. Demonstrated ability to interpret institutional policies, plans, objective, rules and regulations, and communicate the interpretation to others.
7. Demonstrated ability to prepare and present detailed studies and reports to include recommendations concerning the substance of the studies and reports.
8. Demonstrated presentation skills.
1. Demonstrated Higher Education experience.
2. Demonstrated ability to articulate and implement diversity, equity and inclusion in their leadership and day-to-day responsibilities.
This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach the following 3 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter.
(#3) “Other Document-References” – the names and contact information of three professional references (pdf doc).
Job posted: 2021-07-07