Director, Local Public Affairs
The Local Public Affairs organization leads the Company’s public affairs, government relations activities and strategies in our operational areas by partnering with cities and counties, local government, community-based organizations, environmental and business organizations to enhance customer loyalty, environmental leadership, community engagement, and enable infrastructure development.
The Director of Local Public Affairs is responsible for leading, managing and supporting team of approximately 25 public affairs professions across a broad geographic area. This team serves as primary political contact for elected officials and high level appointed officials for all cities, counties, and local officers to State representatives in PG&E’s Service Territory.
Local Public Affairs team develops and manages complex public affairs strategies across the company’s service territory and leads the company’s lobbying and advocacy efforts with local and regional public officials to support PG&E’s critical gas, electric, energy supply and safety operational priorities. Focus is also given to internal problem solving, external facing relationship building, and the execution of targeted engagement strategies designed to educate specific community and civic leaders about PG&E projects and programs. The team also acts as the company’s liaison with local governments and elected officials in planning for and during PSPS activations and other emergencies.
Will report to the Vice President, State and Regulatory Affairs
- Develops and leads complex public affairs strategies to educate and positively influence decision makers within local and regional public agencies.
- Develops strategies to support line of business partners’ operational needs by working with local elected officials, governmental entities and other community partners to achieve company goals and objectives.
- Leads the development and implementation of detailed programs to maximize the strategic value and impact of charitable contributions, business and civic organization memberships and political giving at a local and regional level.
- Build strategic alliances and partnerships with key local and regional stakeholders other local organizations.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge and understanding of the service territory’s local government appointed and elected officials, community leaders, membership organizations, and customer base.
- Support and conduct communications to senior executive leadership in summarized and compelling manner.
- Develops and maintains strong governmental, political and community network throughout the service territory to support Enterprise goals and priorities.
- Build strategic alliances and partnerships with key local and state stakeholders, including the League of California Cities (LOCC) and the California State Association of Counties (CSAC)
- Provide strategic direction to team about issues that arise before assigned political bodies, coordinating Company analysis and response.
- Keep abreast of local political and legislative issues that impact local communities and regions in the service territory.
- Provide political and governmental expertise as it pertains to all lines of business.
- Lead meetings with high level city officials to support operational goals.
- Maintain high level of knowledge on local governmental political climate, and franchise issues.
- Effectively respond to customer issues referred by elected representatives.
- Develop community partnerships that build upon and enhance PG&E programs/services, assisting customers and providing support for company and operational goals.
- Strengthen relationships with local elected and community organizations throughout the Service Territory (regularly attend events, local community board representation and general representation for the company).
- Lead engagement with PG&E Executives in participation in key local and regional organizations, including the Silicon Valley Leadership Group and the Bay Area Council.
- Develops and implements strategies in support of department goals and metrics.
- Oversees the management, development, and retention of staff.
- Builds a culture of compliance and safety within the entire team.
- PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
A Leader in the Community and Industry
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10 years’ experience working with local government entities and/or community organizations
- 5 years’ leadership experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including interpersonal and presentation skills, to effectively influence others, including senior leaders.
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills to create teams, develop plans, drive progress and accomplish results.
- Experience of successfully leading a remote team across a diverse territory
- Strategic decision-making skills to organize, plan, and implement complex multi-year initiatives, as well as ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines. Customer-oriented, with a demonstrated ability of achieving performance improvements.
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Competency in building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Competency in developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Competency in maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-10