Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Optica Events and Industry marketing team is responsible for a comprehensive promotion program that supports three large conferences, approximately 30 “topical” meetings and other industry-focused publications and programs. The position supports a significant portion of this portfolio and addresses operations-based needs for the entire marketing team, including budgeting, list prospecting, in-kind advertising trades and analytics.
The Director, Marketing, provides marketing leadership and team and project management to ensure effective marketing of the Optica Events and Industry portfolio. The position has oversight on the development of marketing strategies, plans and budgets and supervisory oversight on their implementation—to ensure organizational key results in meetings attendance and revenue are met.
The position relies heavily on sustaining strong relationships between the marketing team and relevant volunteers, as well as staff members from other Optica teams.
- Supports organization key results through the development of coordinated, comprehensive promotion strategies for select conferences and meetings, and articulated in marketing plans, production schedules and budgets.
- Executes marketing plans for select conferences and meetings. Manages all phases of promotional tactics including message and content, design, production and distribution.
- In concert with science advisors and conference committees, and through an assessment of market, audience and technologies and trends, constructs relevant messaging and content for select conferences and meetings. Researches new markets and develops promotion tactics to target new audiences with appropriate messaging.
- Develops and supports audience segmentation strategies to utilize prospect lists and third-party lists effectively. Creates and maintains processes to ensure data quality and integrity.
- Manages year-round web properties for select conferences and meetings, ensuring accurate and timely content is in place pre- and post-meeting and during the event. Collaborates with internal stakeholders (content providers and web designers/developers) to encourage frequent content updates and navigation efficiencies. Analyzes site performance to monitor trends that forecast results in paper submissions and registration.
- Supports the organization’s brand strategy through accurate and consistent application of events brand and style guidelines. Works with in-house graphics team member(s) to manage design assets in support of select marketing, program and operations needs.
- Assesses campaign performance through the collection and analysis of metrics and communicates promotion results through dashboards and management reports. Makes data-based recommendations for adjustments or contingencies to the marketing plan at milestone stages of a campaign.
- Collaborates in the development of a digital marketing strategy to include new and social media marketing channels (e.g., videos, blogs, podcasts and social media). For relevant meetings, manages digital advertising efforts to include copy, design and media placement. Tracks campaign performance to make real-time adjustments.
- Seeks opportunities to supplement direct marketing efforts through media and communications platforms; collaborates with the Optica Communications team and external publications and associations via in-kind trades, institutional newsletters and events calendars.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred
- 6+ years professional expertise overseeing all aspects of marketing disciplines
- 3+ years experience direct supervisory responsibilities
- Experience promoting meetings, conferences and/or conventions; international and virtual events a plus
- Experience and understanding of best practices in traditional direct marketing, digital marketing and prospect demand generation
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Accomplished analytical, conceptual and strategic thinker who can solve problems, process both the big picture and details, and produce inventive and effective promotion solutions
- Knowledge of complete marketing cycle and ability to lead all phases; experience producing multi-format marketing collateral (digital, print and multimedia).
- Exceptional written communication skills including proofreading and copyediting; and oral communication and presentation skills
- Exceptional project management and organization skills
- Ability to conceptualize, develop and manage budgets
- Ability to successfully manage relationships with external vendors
- Ability to influence colleagues and implement and enforce procedures
- Demonstrated willingness to coach and develop direct reports
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite applications (including advanced capabilities in Excel) and Google Workspace (especially Google Sheets)
- Experienced user of Adobe Creative Suite applications to support design/layout, image management and email coding projects)
- Familiarity with data management tools (e.g., Tableau)
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2021-12-26