Director, Marketing & Communications
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Chief of Staff, the Director of Marketing & Communications will develop, execute, and manage a national communications plan to strengthen the organization’s programs, impact, and brand. The Director will be a key leader for NTC’s media and content initiatives aimed at driving audience engagement and increasing the reach of our organizational voice across multiple channels and formats. This position provides an exciting opportunity for a strong communications professional with media relations, social media and content curation expertise to help take NTC to the next level of reach and influence and, in the process, make a significant contribution to providing an equitable education for all students.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions: The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. The employee may perform other duties as required.
Communications & Media Management
- You own and drive our communications strategy. You will execute NTC’s short-term communications strategy and build out the longer-term strategy and vision. By managing external contractors and working with a cross-functional team, you will be responsible for creating a flywheel of communications, internally and externally, to ensure NTC’s work and progress is elevated in the field.
- You craft messaging that moves people. You guide quantitative and qualitative message research that benefits the organization on identified issue areas to develop messages and talking points based that resonate with key audiences. You ensure that NTC materials across program areas and departments reflect organizational positions and are framed persuasively, from white papers, blogs, case studies, or the annual report.
- You are two steps ahead and keep NTC in the news. You have a strong ability to develop and implement appropriate media relations strategies and tactics for a variety of situations, including positioning NTC to both be proactive by creating news and reacting in real time to breaking news stories.
- You are a master storyteller and have a command of the education field. You are “non-stop.” You have excellent writing skills, including the ability to write speeches, opinion pieces, press releases and other materials under tight deadlines. You find joy in the written word and can easily translate the complex into digestible content. You know how to manage style and terminology guidelines for the organization and develop tools/training for key staff.
- You run editorial content with an eye for the future. You think from a different lens, delivering action-inducing storytelling that compels our audiences to move to a deepen understanding of the key issues. You develop the vision and strategy for NTC’s long-term content strategy and build an effective roadmap to get there. You create and maintain the brand’s editorial calendar and look for creative ways to engage our audience in new ways.
- You are a master of social media and embrace data. You have extensive experience growing both audience size and engagement through stellar social media campaigns and initiatives. You are equal parts creative, analytical, competitive, and empathic with a passion to lead and grow our social media and content development efforts. Our goal is to create an entirely new audience experience that will not only drive towards the end of educational inequity, but will ultimately position our organization for rapid national expansion
- You live for the follow-through and love the details. You shepherd communications initiatives from beginning to end – presenting to the Chief of Staff, managing key projects and all the associated details, working directly with NTC colleagues and cross-functional teams to ensure our results are as good as the ideas that spawned them.
- You embrace execution as much as you love strategy. You have ownership of taking NTC’s storytelling to the next level. You lead content curation and strategy of NTC’s blog including: writing content and co-producing creative (photo, video & digital design), improving user experience and ensuring strong readership. You lead all written content with daring class, including: planning, development, deployment, A/B testing and reporting. You lead continuous advancement of our storytelling capabilities including research, interviews and final content production in collaboration with multiple stakeholders. You utilize digital to make storytelling a key driver of our success.
- You know content marketing like the back of your hand, but you are a communication pro at heart. You collaborate in the development of holistic, integrated and strategic marketing communications plans. You execute innovative tactics that preserve, protect and enhance the brand, ensuring all results benefit the organization and our cause. You thrive on insights and finding the secret sauce to inspire audiences to action. You master audience-growth strategies and develop collaborative partnerships to advance the work.
- You don’t like getting too comfortable . You contribute to cultivating a culture of continuous learning, experimentation and ongoing evaluation and improvement. You stay well-informed and versed on trends, rapidly changing technology and best practices in the communications arena, and facilitate knowledge sharing across the organization.
- You are an orchestrator. You love to make the complex simple – especially when you’re sitting at the intersection of a matrixed organization and can create clarity for others. Your partners across the organization are inspired by your leadership which motivates them to be courageous and bold.
- You are committed to disrupting patterns of inequity and oppression. You strive to be a fully self-actualized leader. You address issues of race, class, and privilege because equity leads to better results for everyone, most importantly teachers and students.
- You are a magnifier. You have experience leading a team, ensuring everyone has a clear lane for their work and understands how it aligns to NTC’s goals.
- You achieve quick wins while always keeping the long game in mind. You are energized by doing the tough work today while also keeping your eye on the ball ten years from now because when you do, you ask bigger, more important questions and deliver better, short-term success.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 12+ years of relevant experience, including 6+ years of demonstrated success creating messaging, placing media and positively advancing the presence of organizations
- Extensive knowledge of education, systemic inequity and public policy preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive communications strategies
- Expert proficiency with all common social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Strong working knowledge of content creation tools like the Adobe Creative Suite or equivalent preferred.
- Working knowledge of content management systems like Drupal and WordPress, is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with the proven ability to drive results and execute award-winning work in a virtual work environment with little to no hand-holding.
- Previous experience working at a non-profit, foundation or corporate cause marketing/CSR team with a focus on education.
- Thrives within a small, nimble and collaborative team.
- Understands the ebb and flow of work/life balance and tells great stories during team meetings.*** PLEASE submit a resume and cover letter. Additionally, a link or presentation of your portfolio of work, inclusive of written samples and campaign case studies, will be required during the interview process***
ADA Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
- Limited physical effort required
- Hearing, repetitive hand motions, sitting, talking, typing
- Some travel as needed, typically 15-20%
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-18