Director of Marketing and Communications
Management of the overall strategic vision and goals related to communications, media, marketing, public relations and direct market fundraising and event promotions for chapter. Responsible for the development and execution of the organization’s communications and marketing plan directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization and its brand reputation.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Results Oriented – Delivers results\, drives to exceed internal and external constituent expectations\, exhibits a sense of continuous process improvement to enhance operational efficiency and consistently provides a high quality of work product.
Communication – Effectively communicates verbally and in writing\, in large and small meeting venues; cascades key messages proactively to bring constituents\, colleagues and team members along and promotes open dialogue to build relationships.
Developing Others – Provides candid\, real time feedback for team members and colleagues\, promotes a learning environment to build competence\, proactively develops others through stretch work assignments and other growth opportunities.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on identifying a solution to overcoming obstacles\, maintains confidentiality of sensitive information\, listens to others without interrupting\, exhibits the appropriate level of emotional response\, remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things- safe risk-taking.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities\, exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views\, gives and welcomes feedback\, contributes to building a positive team environment that promotes candor\, puts success of team above own interests\, able to translate employee engagement with improved results\, supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Create a marketing and communication strategy for the Chapter, paying special attention to fundraising and outreach goals.
• Manage the current portfolio of communication materials throughout the organization.
• Initiate, plan, budget and project-manage marketing and communications efforts throughout the organization. Delivery of projects will require meeting tight deadlines with limited resources and may require collaboration with others including board members and the Make-A-Wish team. Project results should be delivered with strong fiscal management.
• Ownership of brand management, while maintaining a consistent overall standard according to national guidelines and local needs.
• Build and maintain a strong relationship with communications partners at Make-A-Wish America.
• Lead the development and execution of messaging, content, and editorial plan for the organization.
• Develop and implement print and digital strategies to increase exposure of our chapter and increase revenue and oversee all aspects of content.
• Strong writing skills including social media content, print and electronic newsletters, marketing collateral, website and new media content, and video.
• Manage all media relations and serve as the main spokesperson for the organization. The director fields questions from and builds relationships with the media and other key constituent groups, arranges press conferences and wish experiences, and writes press releases with a goal to drive broader awareness and support. Provide media training to others in the organization about speaking with the media.
• Provide direct support to our internal and external events for duties such as speech writing, management of media, oversite of photography as well as some wish granting duties as necessary.
• Supervise marketing and communications staff and oversee relevant vendor relationships.
• Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and resource development.
• Supports and engages volunteers in organizational needs and activities.
• Very limited travel within the domestic United States may be occasionally required.
The person in this position must have bachelor’s degree or comparable equivalent and a minimum of 5 years work experience for a non-profit or similar business model, exceptional written and oral communication skills. The ability to identify stakeholder needs and service requirements and exceeds expectations.
The ability to work independently, maintain motivation and creativity with multiple priorities and tight deadlines is a requirement. Given the structure of the organization, stakeholders must be kept apprised of activities and results through small- and large-scale communications tactics. The person in this position must be able to express and openly share the mission of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Minnesota to increase the audience of supporters at all levels.
The incumbent must exhibit a high level of competence in software used within the Communications field such as updating templates–Word, Adobe Illustrator, In-design and Photoshop. Financial experience in composing a budget, ensuring that the appropriate resource allocation is dedicated to meet current and future communication and marketing projects is necessary. Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite of products and Raiser’s Edge database experience as well as established professional networks and resources are required. Strong attention to the core values of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Minnesota is critical to each team member’s contribution and success.
Make-A-Wish Minnesota provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We are committed to a diverse workforce. We value all employees’ talents and support an environment that is inclusive and respectful.
To apply, please e-mail your resume to Gena Johnson, VP of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Job posted: 2020-11-13