Director, Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications advances the Museum’s mission by setting strategic direction for all external marketing and communications strategies. As a member of senior management, the Director will lead efforts to tell the Museum’s unique story and provide insights and guidance on how to evolve and adapt messaging to meet–and grow–our diverse and changing audiences. The role is responsible for oversight of all marketing and communication initiatives including brand, advertising, public relations, website, and digital media and direct e-marketing programs.
We are looking for someone who can develop – or already has – a deep appreciation and understanding of the arts and culture environment. We don’t need Museum or arts experience, but we do need someone who will easily relate to the strategies that would address the current arts and cultuire environment.
We are seeking a person who will provide guidance to leadership, staff and and can direct success through outsourcing partners. The Gardner Museum delivers our Marketing and Communications through outsourcing partners. We have a very small in-house saff and are looking for someone who will thrive on being accountable for strategic and operational management of external partners, while cultivating strong relationships with internal stakeholders for the benefit of the Museum’s public.
- Drives achievement of the Museum’s Strategic objectives, guiding and advising Museum leaders in best practices in brand and public relations. Translates these insights and Museum expectations into clear and effective direction to internal departments and our outsourcing partners.
- Identifies key opportunities to position the Museum as a leader in the community and in the arts and culture sector through strategic public relations and marketing initiatives.
- Identifies new audience opportunities based on key projects and programs, and works with external partners to understand and implement effective audience outreach strategies.
- Accountable for operational oversight of the marketing and communication function, working through our external agency to ensure the development, assessment and implementation of the most effective strategic, brand and community positioning for the Museum. Working with leadership, oversees the prioritization of marketing and communications initiatives.
- Enables and deepens internal and external collaboration and organizational effectiveness, developing and driving effective use of the external outsourcing partners, guiding internal planning teams on Marketing and Communications thinking.
- Nurtures and grows external relationships including city, state, community and artistic and performer relationships, building Museum capability and insight into engaging and expanding understanding while ensuring the success of the Gardner’s legacy and mission.
- Drives the effectiveness and builds the knowledge base of external Marketing and Communications partners, serving as an inspirational translator of the Gardner’s current and future marketing and communication needs. Oversees vendor contract and budget.
- Plays a leadership role in developing a relevant, meaningful institutional Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion strategies
- Accomplished, strategic, innovative and forward-thinking manager with minimum of 10 years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and plan tactically to develop and execute all marketing and communications initiatives.
- Proven sense for design and visual communications; effective manager of the creative process across all mediums.
- Confident and highly collaborative communicator committed and able to work across all museum departments to define, articulate and deliver engaging, creative and forward-thinking strategies.
- Experience building press relationships locally, nationally, and internationally
- Positive culture and team-builder able to establish priorities constructively; to communicate with and inspire the department to work skillfully, effectively, and with a shared purpose to serve the museum’s mission.
- Composed, poised relationship-builder effective in identifying and building sustainable, engaging relationships with media, community organizations, board members, employees and leadership.
- Principled, values-driven and passionate mission champion who leads, and encourages others to base their decisions and actions on, the museum’s purpose, legacy and values.
- Thoughtful problem-solver able to create an environment of shared learning and decision-making.
- Able influencer, with proven experience in advising senior management/high-visibility individuals regarding current and future strategy development.
- Experience with and a successful track record of direct/email marketing.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-17