Director of Marketing & Communications
HIMALAYAN CATARACT PROJECT
TITLE: Director of Marketing & Communications
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Vermont (Norwich or Waterbury); Open to Remote
The Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) works to cure needless blindness with high quality, cost effective eye care in underserved areas of the world. Thirty-six million people are blind worldwide, yet 80% of this burden is treatable or preventable. Cataract is the largest cause of blindness affecting 17 million people, who could be cured with a 10-minute, $25 surgery. HCP is keenly focused on enduring solutions to avoidable blindness for under-resourced people and communities, not only providing critical care but strengthening local capacity to provide high-quality eye care to the underserved. HCP has offices in Vermont and in the Washington, DC metro area, with programs in 7 countries on 2 different continents and an estimated 75 implementing partners.
Himalayan Cataract Project is expanding its team to meet new challenges, scale its work, and broaden its reach. We are seeking individuals with an aptitude for operating in growth environments with interest and/or experience in scaling systems.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Director of Marketing and Communications will serve as a senior-level strategist and marketer as well as the chief brand ambassador to lead communications and marketing functions that are aligned with revenue generation and business development and support a diverse program portfolio. This includes brand development, marketing, advertising, public relations, content development, and digital/social strategies. The Director of Marketing and Communications creates innovative marketing strategies that will continue to build our brand, increase awareness, define and engage key audiences, grow our revenue base, and establish relevance and respect within target sectors and the general public. Work plans are developed to align with fundraising objectives, revenue goals, and strategic communications and advocacy outcomes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Oversee the planning, development and execution of HCP’s marketing and communications initiatives.
● Partner with the Director of Development to generate revenue by developing and leading a comprehensive marketing and communications operations program – including marketing, advertising, public relations, content development, and digital/social strategies.
● Continue to build upon outstanding brand recognition, work across channels to further increase awareness and understanding of the organization and its mission to stakeholders around the globe.
● Oversee internal and external communications to ensure that key messages are communicated clearly and often throughout the organization, its country offices across the globe, and to select targeted audiences.
● Develop relationships and partnerships with corporations interested in cause marketing through commercial co-ventures.
● Develop key performance indicators and analytics to track effectiveness of marketing (open rates, read rates, views, engagements, etc.) and campaigns (target amount of funds raised) to continuously improve and ensure progress is aligned with organizational goals and priorities.
● Engage in the nonprofit and marketing professional community to keep HCP’s profile high, as a leader in the sector, and learn from others.
● Lead public relations (PR) initiatives; develop a highly visible external profile for HCP, HCP’s founders & CEO, and other senior leaders based on interviews, written thought leadership pieces, and speaking engagements.
● Uphold and enhance the reputation of HCP.
● Supervises 1.5 FTEs, Communications Manager and Digital Communications Coordinator
All employees are expected to work as a team and to contribute to any activity that will promote the success of the organization.
● More than 8 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in marketing/communications. Non-profit and/or INGO experience is preferred.
● At least 3 years’ experience successfully managing a team.
● Bachelor’s degree is required or equivalent work experience; an advanced degree is preferred.
● Experience collaborating with key internal and external stakeholder groups.
● Proven marketer with creative skills, strong communicator, and familiar with digital technologies.
● Demonstrated performance in outcomes-based organizations where candidate has successfully developed and implemented strategies to achieve specific revenue goals with a Development or Business Development team.
● Experience working with various social media platforms and web design/development.
● Advanced computer proficiencies in Google Suite, Adobe Suite, Slack and Asana.
● Experience in the field and familiarity with international development is a plus.
● Ability to travel.
Behaviors & Competencies
● Team builder
● High energy
● Culturally competent
WORKING WITH HCP:
Himalayan Cataract Project is a high-energy and fast-paced organization. We work to change eye care in the developing world with a firm commitment to eradicating unnecessary blindness and reaching the unreachable patient. We are a small team where everyone plays an important role and has an impact. We hire individuals who are professional, collaborative and creative thinkers with a passion for our mission.
We invite qualified candidates to submit a resume and cover letter. Please send materials via email to: email@example.com
Himalayan Cataract Project considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Job posted: 2021-09-06