Director, Media and Communications
The Raben Group is a national public policy and strategic communications firm committed to opening the doors of power and influence for lasting inclusive change. We were founded with a lofty goal and an audacious spirit: to make our nation greater by helping to shift public policy in a sensible, humane direction. We work intimately with policymakers and influencers in the nonprofit, corporate, entertainment, media, philanthropic, and government sectors to identify shared interests, forge new connections, tackle our country’s most intractable problems, and uplift new generations of leaders and activists.
Now at 18-years-old and 75 staff strong with offices in Washington, D.C., New York City, Los Angeles, El Paso, and Cleveland, we are proudly majority people of color, majority women, and a certified LGBT Business Enterprise, affording us a unique perspective on public policy work and imbuing us with the urgency that comes from knowing all too well why this work matters. Spend time with us and you quickly learn we value smarts, creativity, and audaciousness in just about all we do… and a sense of humor is a contractual must. Learn more at rabengroup.com.
What We Need:
We seek a Director to join our Media & Communications practice support The Raben Group’s client teams and engagements. Directors have hands-on expertise, contextual knowledge, leadership abilities, and the tactical skills to advance the strategic mission and vision of The Raben Group and further the development and success of our Strategic Communications practice group in providing excellent client services and engaging prospective clients.
Our successful candidate will have a high degree of initiative, personal resilience, attention to detail, intellectual engagement in the subject-matter at hand, and a concierge-like approach to client services.
- Client Relations: Lead or co-lead client engagements, or serve as communications strategist on multidisciplinary teams; provide vision, creativity, and strategy for clients, and ensure a high level of service delivery
- Communications Strategy: Create, implement, and monitor communications strategies and tactical plans on behalf of Raben clients
- Media Relations: Serve as a media liaison for clients, maintain relationships with reporters and columnists, ensure curation of targeted press lists of local, state and national news media outlets, as well as ethnic media, digital outlets, and relevant trade publications; work with teams to execute both broad and targeted media outreach campaigns, deploying creative pitching strategies to garner attention
- Messaging and Branding: Develop messaging frameworks and related collateral, manage branding initiatives, and oversee outsourced creative design
- Digital Strategy: provide strategy and oversight on clients’ digital communications needs, including social media, website communications, and multimedia content
- Content Development: Write and/or edit op-eds, digital content, reports, memos, and other public relations content and collateral
- Project and Team Management: Oversee and participate in the execution of communications tactics, ensuring quality control and adjusting approaches as contexts warrant; guide and mentor other team members
- External Engagement: participate in opportunities to raise the visibility of the firm and of the policy issues we prioritize, including keynotes, panel discussions, published pieces, broadcast media, etc.
- Business Development: Contribute to the firm’s business development efforts, to include leveraging existing relationships toward new engagements, and contributing to proposals and pitch interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 6+ years experience in communications or public relations, to include prior experience in political or advocacy communications
- Strong media relations experience required; must bring a track record of success developing and executing earned media campaigns
- Experience overseeing or executing social media campaigns
- Strong oral and written communication skills are a non-negotiable requirement.
- A collaborative and relationship-building mindset
- Candidates must have the demonstrable ability to quickly produce clear, concise, and compelling written collateral.
- Ability to manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable project management skills across multiple assignments with many moving parts.
The Raben Group finds it quite natural to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, living the values of diversity and inclusiveness in everything we do.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-24