Portland Cement Association (PCA)
The Director of Media and Public Affairs will support the VP of Communications in developing and implementing multi-channel media and public affairs strategies, to build awareness of issues and events. In addition to helping manage day-to-day media relations, this person will write and edit newsletters, press releases, handle media calls, create and maintain press lists, maximize the use of social media and perform other related functions to advance the goals of the PCA membership. This person also will support the communications team by understanding new and emerging technology and best practices to continuously improve communication effectiveness.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Energetic self-starter with at least six years’ work experience in media relations, preferably on Capitol Hill or in a D.C.-based trade association, political campaign, PR firm, or other policy-intensive environment.
- Exceptional writing and grammatical skills (following AP style), a knack for grasping and pitching news, a relentless ability to research and track down information and a talent for translating complex issues for clear and compelling deliverables.
- A strong interest in public affairs, policy issues (preferably in transportation or infrastructure) and advocacy campaigns.
- Must work well on a team, effectively prioritize and track tasks for both his/her self as well as the communications team, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Must have a keen understanding and constant desire to stay current on the latest effective communications tools used for issue advocacy.
- Day-to-day media relations, including handling select media calls, triaging incoming media calls for direction to appropriate internal spokespeople and subject matter experts, and researching information for responding to the media.
- Write press releases, newsletters, letters to the editor and op-eds.
- Provide and manage press/social media monitoring.
- Maintain and update media contact lists and files.
- Help organize and pitch press briefings and media events.
- Support execution, monitoring and measuring social media activity, such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and other digital communication channels.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications or public policy desired.
- Candidates will be given a writing test.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to HRMailboxDC@cement.org.
Job Posted: February 18, 2017