Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Media and Public Relations
The National Park Foundation (NPF) is seeking a Director of Media and Public Relations for our External Affairs team. This is a great opportunity to play a key role supporting a highly regarded national non-profit. The Director of Media and Public Relations is responsible for the development and implementation of media relations strategy and related public engagement initiatives to elevate the National Park Foundation’s brand and impact, raising awareness for and strengthening the Foundation’s reputation, among target audiences and key stakeholders through earned media, and public relations. This full-time position reports to the Senior Director of Communications and is based in Washington, DC.
WORKING AT NPF
The National Park Foundation works to protect wildlife and park lands, preserve history and culture, educate, and engage youth, and connect people everywhere to the wonder of parks. We do it in collaboration with the National Park Service, the park partner community, and with the generous support of donors, without whom our work would not be possible. If you have what it takes and care deeply about what we do, you can be a part of this amazing organization that makes a difference every day both in our parks, and in the lives of all of those who are connected to them.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Lead and execute media relations strategy to position the Foundation, its leadership, and its impact favorably and prominently in targeted news outlets, ensuring that the strategy reflects the Foundation’s diversity, equity, and inclusion values and guiding principles.
- Work with External Affairs team leadership to develop and implement public engagement strategies elevating the visibility and reputation of the Foundation, including promoting original research, impact storytelling and related content development through earned media outreach and distribution across the Foundation’s owned platforms and social media channels.
- Advise on the development and promotion of content highlighting the Foundation’s collective impact with partners through earned media and media partnerships.
- Write, prepare and copy edit multiple Foundation communications products with a DEI lens including communications plans, press releases, articles, storytelling content, and website content.
- Provide prep and guidance, including media and public speaking training, to Foundation staff in advance of interviews and events.
- Manage live event media coverage and talent management.
- Serve as a Foundation spokesperson and primary media contact.
- Develop and maintain an annual editorial calendar.
- Provide counsel on organization’s media and public relations best practices.
- Proactively identify unique opportunities to increase the visibility and awareness of the Foundation’s collective impact with partners.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the media across multiple beats spanning print, broadcast, online/social media, and trade.
- Manage and develop media partnerships and strategic industry relationships.
- Manage vendor relationships as directed.
- Provide strategic counsel, review and management of annual media relations budget as directed.
- Keep abreast of current news, trends, and topics that are relevant to the Foundation and the communications landscape.
- Responsible for reporting of media coverage on a regular basis, as directed.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate should have the following:
- Ability to build and maintain trust and confidence of Senior Management, co-workers, NPS colleagues and other external partners.
- Ability and experience in increasing both the quality and volume of media placements to advance brand awareness.
- Experience managing a communications budget.
- Strong relationships with journalists and the media industry.
- A collaborative approach and experience working within a large team and across organizational departments to contribute to and drive the overall success of the organization.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through communications
Preferred education and experience:
- Seven to ten years communications/public engagement experience.
- Proven track record of successful multi-platform public engagement campaigns.
- Established relationships with the media.
- Ability to handle multiple, time-sensitive projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written, interpersonal and presentation communications skills.
- Work wells in a collaborative, team-driven environment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
Compensation and Benefits:
The National Park Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits program. Starting compensation for this opportunity is commensurate with the level of experience of the candidate. Based in DC at NPF’s newly designed headquarters, this position will also have access to an onsite fitness facility, exciting downtown Washington, DC community and a variety of metro stations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-21