Director of Media Relations
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget is a bipartisan, non-profit organization committed to educating the public about issues that have significant fiscal policy impact. The Committee is made up of some of the nation’s leading budget experts including many of the past Chairmen and Directors of the Budget Committees, the Congressional Budget Office, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Government Accountability Office.
This is not your typical think tank media relations role. The Director of Media Relations is expected to be a very active participant in a fast-moving policy-driven environment and to meet the highest standards of creativity, accuracy and news judgment. We are a high-profile organization, and our work is featured regularly in print and on television and is seen by our nation’s top leaders.
The Director of Media Relations works closely with the Committee’s Policy team and reports to the Deputy Chief of Staff.
- Develop and implement a communications plan to advance the Committee’s position; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its work around the country
- Extend media outreach and increase the quality and quantity of coverage nationally and at the state and local level
- Build and manage relationships with media and serve as their primary liaison
- Support rapid response and reactive media strategy around the Committee’s issue areas
- Draft press materials including press releases, op-eds, fact sheets, talking points, promotional materials etc.
- Support digital communications including social media and multimedia work, as needed
- Serve as an integral member of the senior management team
Writing and editing talent is a fundamental job requirement and candidates without the ability to write quickly and effectively under very tight deadlines will not be successful.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A strong communications background with at least 5 years of experience as a press secretary or media relations director on the Hill, in an executive department or agency or at a comparable non-profit organization
- Ability to work independently, creatively and in a bipartisan manner
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- A background in fiscal, economic or monetary issues is strongly preferred
- Hill experience is a plus
This position is full-time and based in Washington, D.C. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget is committed to fostering an equitable, diverse and inclusive working environment. The Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status and other such factors in accordance with US state and federal laws.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and contact information for three references, including one recent supervisor, to firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please write “Director of Media Relations” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2021-05-17