Director, Media Relations
The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) is the business association of the nation’s engineering industry. Founded in 1906, ACEC is a national federation of 52 state and regional organizations representing more than 5,600 engineering firms and 600,000+ engineers, surveyors, architects, and other specialists nationwide. ACEC member firms drive the design of America’s infrastructure and built environment. Please visit us at www.acec.org.
ACEC is committed to being a workplace that fosters inclusion, diversity, and equity. We believe that creating a collaborative environment allows our employees to thrive and better serve the industry we represent. We strongly support education and learning through professional and personal growth.
ACEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, or sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, military status, or genetic information. We offer competitive salary, flexibility of schedule, and top-notch benefits.
The American Council of Engineering Companies is seeking an experienced Director of Media Relations to raise the industry’s voice among members of the media in Washington, DC and beyond.
As an integral member of our Communications and Marketing team, the Director of Media relations will support the VP, Communications and Marketing and collaborate closely with our Advocacy department and ACEC senior leadership in developing and executing comprehensive media engagement and communications strategies to advance and frame our advocacy priorities and further ACEC’s overall strategic goals.
Ideal candidates bring a minimum of five years of experience in communications aligned with Capitol Hill, the Administration, trade associations or public sector advocacy organizations. Candidates should have experience writing talking points, press releases, opinion pieces, media pitches and social media content. Must be comfortable with aggressive media engagement to secure ACEC placements and educate press on the industry’s advocacy priorities. Must also be able to measure results for reporting and analysis.
- Works as part of the Communications and Marketing team to accomplish ACEC’s advocacy and organizational goals.
- Assist VP, Communications and Marketing to accomplish departmental goals.
- Support all internal team members and departments in conjunction with the Association’s vision and strategic plan.
- Assist in developing and managing issue advocacy campaigns in support of ACEC goals and objectives related to communications-related priorities.
- Coordinate with department content strategist and Advocacy team to maintain an active editorial calendar of opportunities for media engagement.
- Produce and/or edits advocacy communications collateral such as press releases, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, and key advocacy messages.
- Collaborate across departments to identify and take advantage of opportunities in commercial and trade press.
- Develop effective messages to reach target audiences.
- Assist in the development of content for ACEC’s social media channels and provide timely strategic guidance.
- Assist in planning advocacy communications events such as press conferences, media briefings, lobby days, and policy briefings and prepare summary reports.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant communications experience.
- Experience in a Capitol Hill legislative office is desired.
- Experience and knowledge concerning infrastructure and policies affecting the built environment.
- Established track record of successful media engagement with placements in articles and editorial content.
- Established rolodex of reporters and a willingness to develop new relationships.
- Strong copywriting and editing skills.
- Understanding of effective social media engagement to further advocacy objectives.
- Self-motivated and can work independently and as part of a team.
- Willing to try new ideas and concepts.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Travel – at least twice per year to the Annual Fall Conference and the Spring Legislative Conference and Summit in Washington, DC.
Send writing samples, cover letter, and resume with salary expectations to HR@acec.org.
Job posted: 2021-05-30