Director, Media Relations
About the job
Position: Director, Media Relations
Department: Communications and Marketing
Reports To: Vice President Communications and Marketing
The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) is the business association of the nation’s engineering industry. Founded in 1906, ACEC is a national federation of 52 state and regional organizations representing more than 4,500 engineering firms and 500,000+ engineers, surveyors, architects, and other specialists nationwide. ACEC member firms drive the design of America’s infrastructure and built environment. Please visit us at www.acec.org.
ACEC is committed to being a workplace that fosters inclusion, diversity, and equity. We believe that creating a collaborative environment allows our employees to thrive and better serve the industry we represent. We strongly support education and learning through professional and personal growth.
ACEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, or sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability, military status, or genetic information. We offer competitive salary, flexibility of schedule, and top-notch benefits.
The American Council of Engineering Companies is seeking an experienced Director of Media Relations to raise the ACEC and the engineering industry’s voice among members of the media in Washington, DC and beyond.
As an integral member of our Communications and Marketing team, the Director of Media relations will support the organization through implementing a media strategy with the goal of increasing ACEC’s share of earned media placements and opportunities among key news outlets within Washington, DC and among the states.
Ideal candidates bring a minimum of five years of experience in public relations and media engagement aligned with Capitol Hill, the Administration, trade associations or public sector advocacy organizations. Candidates should have experience writing talking points, press releases, opinion pieces, media pitches and social media content. Must be comfortable with aggressive media engagement to secure ACEC placements and educate press on the industry’s advocacy priorities. Must also be able to measure results for reporting and analysis.
The Director, Media Relations will report to the Vice President, Communications and Marketing.
- Core duties will focus on external media engagement and relationship building with the press.
- Pitch stories and deskside interviews with key members of the media aligned with our advocacy and strategic goals.
- Develop content calendars and editorial content for placement in news outlets.
- Write and edit public remarks for ACEC executives (CEO and Executive Committee members).
- Assist in the development of messages to key advocacy audiences.
- Produce and edit advocacy communications materials such as press releases, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, and social media messages.
- Collaborate across departments to identify and take advantage of opportunities in commercial and trade press.
- Assist in planning advocacy communications events such as press conferences, media briefings, lobby days, and policy briefings and prepare summary reports.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant communications experience.
- Experience in a Capitol Hill legislative office is desired.
- Experience and knowledge concerning infrastructure and policies affecting the built environment.
- Established track record of successful media engagement with placements in articles and editorial content.
- Established rolodex of reporters and a willingness to develop new relationships.
- Strong copywriting and editing skills.
- Understanding of effective social media engagement to further advocacy objectives.
- Self-motivated and can work independently and as part of a team.
- Willing to try new ideas and concepts.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Travel – at least twice per year to the Annual Fall Conference and the Spring Legislative Conference and Summit in Washington, DC.
Send writing samples, cover letter, and resume with salary expectations to HR@acec.org.
Job posted: 2021-07-26