Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Media Relations
Marriott International, Inc. is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland and both operates and franchises hotels as well as licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. The Director, Media Relations is responsible for proactive media relations on priority topics, including highlighting the company’s leadership in Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), innovation, and culture, among other corporate topics, bringing visibility to company efforts and uplifting MI’s reputation with key stakeholders. The position oversees media relations for the company’s corporate portfolio, including announcements and media appearances relating to earnings, performance, mergers, and acquisitions. This position will proactively engage the media in pitching and positioning C-Suite executives and will be responsible for prepping executives for media interviews. This position will oversee global coordination on key announcements, the monitoring and tracking of all incoming media requests, and collaboration with internal communications, the social media team and continent communications leads for amplification/coordination of key company narratives or executive appearances. This position will support the SVP, Global Corporate Communications & Public Policy with issue management and handle reactive media inquiries with potential reputational impact, in close coordination with continent public relations and crisis teams.
The Director, Media Relations will report directly to the SVP, Global Corporate Communications & Public Policy and will have at least one direct report.
The following are major areas of responsibilities for the Director, Media Relations:
Proactive media relations to uplift the company’s reputation and culture (leading on ESG, DEI and Innovation)
Primary lead for proactive media relations supporting Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), Innovation and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) to uplift the company’s reputation and culture with key media outlets. Responsible for proactively developing the strategy and media relations plan, partnering with stakeholders to develop assets and written materials (e.g., press releases, pitches, message points), implement the plan, and deliver and track coverage/visibility.
- Oversee proactive pitching on priority topics, including innovation and culture, leveraging C-suite executives as appropriate to tell Marriott’s story.
- Collaborate with continent communicators to ensure awareness of key announcements for regional pull through.
- Draft and oversee the development and approvals for press releases, company statements, media advisories, and other external content or communications assets to support key announcements and executive media appearances.
- Research and identify new forums, outlets and opportunities, including leveraging social media and speaking events, to showcase proactive narratives on priority company topics, elevating our executives and company leadership position.
Media relations oversight related to traditional corporate portfolio (earnings, corporate statements/announcements, M&A, etc.)
Primary lead for media relations efforts related to the company’s corporate portfolio to include earnings, significant initiative announcements, mergers and acquisitions, and other company-wide and/or corporate initiatives. Responsible for proactively developing the strategy, media relations plan, and partnering with stakeholders to implement the plan and develop key messaging.
- Proactively pitch and position stories to the media. Develop related materials/assets, including writing and editing compelling messages, press releases, fact sheets and supplemental one-pagers.
- Responsible for managing production and stakeholder approval, and coordinating distribution through appropriate channels for above related areas.
- Serve as project manager for major media relations initiatives, working directly with senior leadership, corporate colleagues; overseeing all aspects of the initiative (e.g., press conference, virtual roundtable, etc.); and coordinating with Marriott’s global team of continent communicators to maximize reach.
General media management, global alignment, and crisis support
- Proactively develop and maintain strong relationships with business, travel, and relevant trade news media.
- Support Marriott global communicators on continent PR teams to ensure mutual awareness and alignment on key global or regional efforts.
- Oversee the management, monitoring, and tracking of all incoming media inquiries and provide counsel and assistance to leadership and various spokespeople as needed; manage and/or draft, solicit comments, and implement responses to inquiries.
- Develop and execute reactive communications strategies and content to manage issues with corporate reputational implications or that present significant challenges impacting operations/company reputation, working in support of senior GCPA leaders.
- Coordinate closely with continent PR leads where hotel-level incidents are escalating to corporate/reputational to ensure alignment on approach and messaging.
- Engage with media on key topics in preparation for executive media opportunities. Develop talking points, in close coordination with executive communications team, staff executive media interviews and manage reporter follow up.
- Take the lead on and support other corporate level announcements, providing advanced notice and support to continent communications leads to enable their regional media engagement.
Collaborate across GCPA team to amplify announcements and media appearances on social media and internally.
- Identify opportunities for social media amplification and social content development supporting priority company narratives, including ESG, DEI, innovation, and culture.
- Highlight media appearances by executives, company-wide announcements, and external speaking venues for visibility and additional reach externally on social channels and internally, including coordination with internal communications colleagues for appropriate internal pull through and associate, owner and franchisee engagement.
- Oversee related social media content development and support planning.
- Mentor, coach, and support direct report(s), ensuring constant development of skills with an ability to mobilize the organization to think and act differently. Build talent and inspire success in individuals and teams.
- Advance the organization and manage the impact of change to enable better business results, serving as an integral member of the senior leadership of the corporate communications and government affairs team to provide support to overall GCPA goals and initiatives.
- Create and sustain a strong, positive work environment in both New York and Bethesda.
- Responsible for successful completion of other duties as assigned.
Requirements for Position:
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- Minimum of eight years’ experience as a proven PR professional, with strong media connections and demonstrated national brand experience with consumer-facing brands. Experience in the ESG and DEI space is preferred.
- Track-record of generating strategic media placements; creative thinking around the appropriate strategy for each announcement (e.g., press conference, press release, outlet exclusive, blog post, tweet, etc.). Social Media experience is preferred.
- Deep understanding of the use of digital and social channels for advancing a media relations plan.
- Must have strong writing and editing skills (e.g., press statements and releases, messaging, talking points, strategic memos).
- Demonstrated ability to articulate complex issues to media.
- Highly defined, strongly honed, and successful interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter; creative problem solving and excellent time management skills.
- Ability to interface and work diplomatically with a wide range of individuals, including the highest levels of corporate management and business units within the organization, and handle all media sensitivities.
- Superior judgment and use of discretion in protecting confidential information.
- Outstanding presentation and oral communication skills.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, or Marketing.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Learn more here
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
Job posted: 2022-07-28