Business Unit Description
AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into ‘Real Possibilities’ by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
Integrated Communications and Marketing is a multimedia, service-focused communications and marketing operation that leads in shaping the impression of AARP by providing communications planning, marketing, support and execution for AARP’s strategic business units.
The Director, Media Relations will lead a core team of media relations professionals who are responsible for generating positive coverage for AARP’s brand, advocacy and consumer-focused efforts across the full range of mediums and platforms. The Director will work with internal clients to develop strategy, plans, news releases, talking points and more. The position will also engage with editors, reporters and bloggers across the political spectrum to advance AARP’s mission and message.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of AARP’s enterprise-wide strategic goals, anticipating and addressing opportunities and issues. Content areas may include health, financial services, consumer protection, entertainment, caregiving, and more.
- Lead a team of media relations professionals responsible for promoting AARP’s brand campaigns, advocacy initiatives, digital offerings, events and publications. Emphasize employees’ professional development, continuous improvement, a high level of empowerment, and high individual and team performance. Foster a sense of teamwork.
- Proactively generate positive media coverage in new and creative ways; effectively address emerging issues; and help manage overall reputation, brand and voice of AARP. Develop and maintain reporter, editor and blogger relationships. Execute effective story pitches.
- Provide ongoing strategic counsel for communications planning and message development. Use performance metrics to improve quality, reach and impact of AARP’s work.
- Write and edit strategy documents, plans, news releases, talking points and more.
- Collaborate with internal clients and teams across AARP to ensure that business needs are met and that our message and work products are consistent.
- Demonstrate a relentless commitment to achieving results in a highly fluid, unpredictable environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline. Master’s degree or post graduate work preferred.
- 10+ years in communications or public relations; experience working for a PR agency, federal agency, congressional office, elite NGO, or with a consumer brand is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of several social networks in a professional capacity.
- Previous management experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain successful relationships across the political spectrum as well as with top tier, national trade, regional and local media.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job Posted: August 24, 2017