Director, Media Relations
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The Director of Media Relations leads all corporate interactions with the media globally. S/he is responsible for proactive strategic outreach on the full range of corporate issues, as well as outreach on product issues in concert with business unit communications leads. The Director of Media Relations is also responsible for fielding incoming media inquiries and determining the appropriate strategies for response.
The Director will maintain media lists and develop relationships with key writers, hosts and/or producers who cover our issues or industry.
This position also leads, in concert with external consultants, preparation for senior executives’ appearances on television, on radio, in print, and for public appearances. S/he will serve as a senior advisor to the SVP, Global Communications & Public Affairs on media strategy.
The Director will also work with colleagues in global communications, business unit communications, marketing and digital marketing to help coordinate cross-channel and strategic communication alignment.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Lead Emergent’s interactions with the media, including proactive outreach and fielding incoming inquiries.
• Write, refine, and create press releases, talking points, statements, responses, and other materials for consumption of the news media.
• Serve as lead Emergent spokesperson.
• Advise on strategies for proactive interaction with the press, as well as responses to incoming inquiries.
• Prepare senior executives for media appearances.
• Serve as lead advisor on media strategy.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Highly refined written and oral communications skills.
• At least 10 years of experience as a press secretary, media relations lead, and/or other senior communications role dealing directly with the
• Political campaign and/or Capitol Hill experience a plus.
• Senior corporate media relations experience a plus.
• Collaborative style at easy in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience working with senior executives or lawmakers.
• Bachelor’s degree required
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-12