Director, Medical Communications
The Director, Medical Communications will be responsible for the development of disease
state/program communication strategy, multi-channel plans (including publication plans) and all
related materials. This includes the development of all medical content (booth and symposia) and
reporting for top tiered congress. This role will collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to
ensure the development of a robust communication strategy that is based on insights and unmet
medical needs. This work is critical in ensuring that communications are aligned throughout the
company and pulled through all material development. As a people manager within the organization,
this role may have financial accountabilities and human resource responsibilities for assigned staff.
• Leads the development of the Global Scientific Communication Strategy
• Leads the development of the multi-channel plan including the publication plan, the congress plan
and any digital initiatives to support innovative communications
• Oversees the development of all enduring communication materials including global scientific
platform, global slide library, lexicon and the scientific narrative for the disease state
• For pipeline disease states, oversees/leads the development of training materials, slide decks and
• Oversees or leads/co-leads the development of all medical content and reporting for top tiered
• Co-Leads the Cross-Functional Disease State Medical Meeting
• Partners closely with the regional medical teams for the development of medical content including
• Ensures alignment of medical communications and publications plans within the overall medical
brand and development plan
• Partners with clinical development groups to develop and maintain timely and relevant disease
• Maintains KPIs and metrics for all medical communication work
• Plans and tracks all aspects of the medical communications budget, including managing vendor
• Assists in the development/enhancement and implementation of policies, procedures, and
processes for the department
• Develops and mentors assigned staff
• As a people manager within the organization, may have financial accountabilities and human
resource responsibilities for assigned staff.
• Doctorate level, advanced degree (PharmD, M.D. or Ph.D.)
• Extensive experience doing similar role and strong supervisory/management experience,
or the equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated leadership and experience in scientific communication framework and impactful
• Excellent written, oral and presentation skills to influence others internally/externally
• Ability to think broadly about scientific communications and the impact on materials
• Expert in health communication principles and knowledge of how to pull through material
• Proven experience in formally and informally teaching and mentoring team members on digital and
health communications principles and how to implement in relevant work
• Strategic mindset and demonstrated experience of effective collaboration between (and within)
medical and other departments including commercial, compliance, corporate communications,
patient advocacy and R&D
• Proven leadership capabilities, ability to work within complex matrixes and without functional
• Capable of setting priorities, dealing with ambiguity and remaining focused on goals
• Ability to manage vendors
• People/team management experience and demonstrated ability to serve as a mentor/coach
• Experience in developing an impactful scientific communication strategy and multi-channel plans
with KPIs and metrics
• Experience in developing and implementing innovative strategies and deliverables to effectively
communicate data and narratives
• Relevant medical communications and/or publications experience.
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.
Help Us Achieve Our Mission
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious diseases. The company has three approved medicines that treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF) – a rare, life-threatening genetic disease — and has several ongoing clinical and research programs in CF. Beyond CF, Vertex has a robust pipeline of investigational medicines in other serious diseases where it has deep insight into causal human biology, such as sickle cell disease, beta thalassemia, pain, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and APOL1-mediated kidney disease.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex’s global headquarters is now located in Boston’s Innovation District and its international headquarters is in London, UK. Additionally, the company has research and development sites and commercial offices in North America, Europe, Australia and Latin America.
Vertex is consistently recognized as one of the industry’s top places to work, including nine consecutive years on Science magazine’s Top Employers list and top five on the 2019 Best Employers for Diversity list by Forbes. For company updates and to learn more about Vertex’s history of innovation visit www.vrtx.com or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
The diversity and authenticity of our people is part of what makes Vertex unique, and we recognize that each employee brings diverse perspectives and strengths. By embracing those strengths and celebrating differences, we are fostering an inclusive culture where each of us can bring our authentic selves to work, inspire innovation together, and change people’s lives.
Our vision is clear: to be the place where an authentic, diverse mix of talent want to come, to stay, and do their best work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-26