Director, Member & Board Relations
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is seeking a Director of Member and Board Relations to maintain and expand the NAM’s membership base among Fortune 1000 companies from a variety of manufacturing industry sectors in the Southwest Region (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, New Mexico). In this position, you will be responsible for implementing member involvement initiatives outside of Washington, DC by working with the NAM Board of Directors and key manufacturing leaders. Remote work opportunity with 30% travel.
Join the NAM and Make an Impact in the Following Ways:
- Manage, retain and grow a portfolio of business. Negotiate dues, develop engagement and retention strategies, and engage with c-level executives. Cleary articulate the NAM value proposition.
- Leverage deep industry and public policy knowledge to identify potential dues increase targets and risks as well as opportunities to engage members in sponsorship and/or issue advocacy opportunities.
- Stay informed about the activities of all branches of the federal government and the NAM’s related response/activities so that you can effectively represent, position and sell all aspects of the NAM. Understand how the different teams at the NAM coordinate to create the strongest “manufacturing army” possible, from communications to issue advocacy and from congressional outreach to public policy advocacy.
- Think critically about how we can strengthen our ability to communicate with members about our activities – who we deliver information to and how.
- Effectively communicate all that the NAM has to offer including operational programming, sponsorship opportunities and future programming.
- Conduct research, analyze financial information and stay abreast of key policy issues of concern for members in your portfolio. Design an appropriate strategy of engagement for each individual member and work with multiple touchpoints within the company including, but not limited to the CEO, General Counsel, Head of Government Relations, Head of Communications etc. Work effectively with policy, communications, legal and external relations to implement and execute member engagement strategies.
- Understand the leadership roles and reporting structure of each company in your portfolio and develop a strategy to engage the c-suite of these companies if they are not already involved with the NAM. Recognize and decipher challenges posed by companies’ internal politics and develop strategies to overcome.
- Effectively summarize and communicate the needs, interests, business and policy challenges, and priorities of member companies back into the organization. Collect the necessary data and inputs form members to credibly act as the “voice of the member” during internal discussions. Find the right opportunities to engage other NAM teams and resources in identifying and furthering the members’ interests.
- Recruit, develop and involve c-suite executives to the NAM Board. Work closely with these executives and communicate with them on their key priorities. Engage these leaders to help grow the NAM.
- Work collaboratively with Public Affairs to develop strong, involved members in your region.
- Staff the NAM Chairman, NAM President and NAM leadership in visits to key members and Board members in your region and in Washington, D.C.
- Integrate SMM members and Directors in all leadership and public affairs in the region.
- Work cooperatively with other national business organizations and serve as the face of the NAM outside of the Beltway with members, prospects and key allies.
We are looking for Team Players who meet the Following Criteria:
- Experience in a combination of roles including external, public relations, advocacy or fundraising, roles working inside federal government (e.g. Administration / Congress), corporate government relations, a trade association, or the strategy practice of a major consulting firm is highly desirable.
- A minimum of five years of experience in C-suite contact with the ability to effectively work with Fortune 500 CEOs and senior management. Basic understanding of the policy process and knowledge of legislative and regulatory issues with which the NAM is concerned including tax, energy, human resources, international trade, and infrastructure, regulatory and transportation policy.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, marketing and/or political science.
- Persistent ability to make things happen; ability to set and maintain priorities and overcome obstacles.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work from a home office and travel approximately 30%.
Please apply using the following link: https://usr57.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/nam/Posting/View/243
The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) is the largest manufacturing association in the United States and one of the nation’s most influential advocates for manufacturing. By joining the NAM, you become part of a spirited and dynamic team that is driven to succeed. We recognize and reward our staff with competitive pay and annual performance based bonus programs. We offer an outstanding benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, life, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending accounts, SmarTrip, and a 401(k) Salary Deferral plan with employer match and contributions, and ample vacation and sick leave. Become part of a fast paced team passionate about keeping the United States the world leader in manufacturing.
Get involved. Make an impact. Join the NAM team.
Learn more at www.nam.org/careers
Job posted: 2020-02-27