Director for the Middle East & North Africa
This position sits in the International Programs Division of Freedom House, a non-governmental organization dedicated to the promotion of democracy and human rights around the world. The position, which oversees a small team of staff, is responsible for providing strategic leadership and vision for all Freedom House activities in and related to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), first and foremost on the ground programming, but also policy research and advocacy in line with the organization’s mission and strategic framework.
The position requires a candidate with deep knowledge of democracy and governance issues throughout the region including Iran, relationships there (including with civil society organizations (CSOs), government entities, the diplomatic community, etc.), and relationships with relevant USG executive and congressional branch entities (including USG donors supporting democracy programs in the region). These qualifications must be combined with a proven record of: designing and carrying out successful policy research and policy advocacy initiatives before the U.S. Congress and executive branch; designing and implementing innovative USG-funded democracy programming throughout the region that produce verifiable results; and effectively leading and managing diverse staff, including overseas operations.
The position is based in Freedom House’s Washington, DC office and cannot be performed remotely. Up to 20 percent of the director’s time will be spent traveling to the MENA region.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
- Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, international relations, or related field strongly preferred
- Deep knowledge of democracy and human rights issues throughout the MENA region, including in Iran, relationships there (including with civil society organizations, government entities, the diplomatic community, etc.), and relationships with relevant USG donors including USAID and the U.S. State Department
- Fifteen or more years of experience designing, obtaining funding for, and implementing innovative USG-funded democracy programs throughout MENA that produce verifiable results; and effectively leading and managing diverse staff, including overseas operations. Experience designing and carrying out successful policy research and advocacy initiatives before the U.S. Congress and executive branch is also desirable
- Existing relationships of trust and collaboration with peer organizations working on democracy issues, local actors across MENA, and USG agencies and entities
- Eight or more years of experience leading and managing staff, including minimum of two years managing senior staff. Proven ability to recruit highly capable staff, manage and motivate personnel, and lead diverse teams. Strong ability to lead by example, with integrity, purpose, and commitment to attainment of FH goals
- Proven ability to clearly communicate complex concepts verbally and in writing
- Fluency in spoken and written English; proficiency in one or more local languages is strongly preferred
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-04