Director, North America Government Affairs
The Team: In this role, you will be responsible for managing projects across a broad range of issues. You will report into the Head, NA, Government Affairs and Public Policy role, and will work on a team to manage our strategy and execution for engagement with North American policymakers. You will coordinate closely with the business and product organizations and key cross-functional partners in Commercial, Legal and Finance to design and evaluate responses to policy challenges, help develop our internal and external narrative around key policy challenges, and engage key stakeholders. All of your work will be closely coordinated with colleagues within the Public Policy function of the Government Affairs and Public Policy team, as well as with your colleagues across the global team.
The Impact: You have a strong track record in effective communication and relationship management along with excellent analytical and organizational skills with an aptitude for learning. You can collaborate seamlessly with your colleagues across teams and are able to develop and implement creative ideas with the discipline to manage competing priorities in a rapidly changing environment. You have experience either working with or in a corporate public policy team, regulatory agency, trade association, or other government role as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
In a rapidly changing political and business environment, you will work closely with politicians, regulators, academics and third parties around the issues that affect our customers. In this role, you’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage different campaigns and projects to tight deadlines. You will apply your expertise to real-world scenarios, acting as an inspiring advocate and enthusiastic team player.
As Director, Government Affairs, you are a collaborative visionary who will help deliver against S&P Global’s advocacy strategy. As a key critical team member of S&P Global’s North America Government Affairs team, you will help shape various policy issues with policy makers and influencers inside and outside of government. In addition, you lead work advising our internal teams on the public policy implications of their products and services, working with a closely coordinated and cross-functional global team to help shape the policy landscape around pressing S&P Global policy issues.
What’s in it for you: In this role, under the direction of the Head, NA, Government Affairs, you will track various legislative and regulatory proposals and analyze their potential impact on S&P Global’s business, working with the Global Public Policy team to develop and implement strategy for shaping the public policy debate. You will provide project management support to key strategic and operational priorities of S&P Global and the policy organization.
- Under the direction of the Head, NA, Government Affairs and Public Policy, you will work closely with the business division leaders, and external stakeholders to support all global advocacy and policy outreach efforts and campaigns based off of S&P Global priority issues.
- Advise S&P Global division leaders on policy risks impacting the business and align with advocacy efforts to mitigate policy, regulatory and governmental risks to the SPGI business. Collaborate with the Global Public Policy Team to develop written content and policy position papers for internal and external distribution.
- Coordinate closely with Global Public Policy Team to provide best-in-class engagement support for Senior Leaders across the company on thought leadership priorities, bi-lateral meetings, trade association partnerships, and events.
- Identify opportunities for division senior leadership to provide thought leadership and to build relationships with key government officials, trade groups and other key industry stakeholders and influencers.
- Manage internal communication and internal relationships, as well as external relationships with governments, associations and third parties to promote SPGI policy priorities.
- Serve as a liaison to SPGI legal, compliance, and enterprise risk teams to flag potential risks as well as identify proactive policy changes we can promote externally.
- Develop and maintain deep business acumen.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7-10 years of experience working within government, think tanks, public interest groups and/or financial services and technology industry groups or corporations.
- Experience in the technology, data or finance industry or with new media and the surrounding policy environments.
- Capital market, financial market and technology policy experience.
- Experience successfully working with a team.
- Ability to lead and evaluate issues independently and in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent personal, political, analytical and communications skills and high attention to detail.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-18