Country: United States
Job Number: 1702494
US Federal & State Government Affairs has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Northeast State Government Affairs Leader, located in Washington, DC. Under the leadership of the Vice President of Government Affairs and Public Policy, the successful candidate will provide strategic direction for Dow’s northeast state government affairs agenda, manage the company’s state government relations activities in assigned states, and serve as a primary contact for key trade association engagements. This position includes identification of state policy issues affecting the company and designing advocacy strategies to support the business objectives of Dow within the Northeast region, including Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts and New York. Job location is in Washington, DC.
The Government Affairs & Public Policy (GA&PP) team is responsible for driving competitive advantage through advocacy and issue resolution. The team holds the company’s expertise in translating trends in the external policy environment to opportunities that facilitate business strategies. Effective, early engagement in societal developments often results in competitive advantage and business growth. By definition, the nature of the work involves external parties, often includes government policies or regulations and rarely has clear black or white answers.
Critical responsibilities include:
- Execute and coordinate state government affairs positions and strategies on legislative, policy and political issues impacting The Dow Chemical Company and the broader industry.
- Serve as primary contact for interfaces with State Legislature, Governor, some State Agencies and District Staff for Federal Representatives in assigned state(s).
- Establish and maintain a sophisticated state and local political contact network to leverage for Dow’s benefit.
- Serve as primary contact with key state trade and business associations, and as government affairs contact for key value chain trade associations.
- Develop and maintain communication pathways with senior management, site leaders and business leaders in the region. Advise senior officers on all matters of interest and concern to the corporation regarding state government affairs activities.
- Support business needs to access economic development incentives.
- Facilitate engagement and grow Dow’s employee political action committee (DowPAC) in the Northeast region.
- Provide recommendations on DowPAC political giving.
- The successful candidate will have the following critical competencies:
- An ability to quickly grasp and address issues facing the industries in which Dow operates.
- A thorough understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes as they relate to state government affairs and how they impact Dow Chemical.
- Experience developing and implementing a government affairs strategy, including short and long term goals and establishing methods of measuring the plan’s impact on and contribution to the organization.
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral, and a keen attention to detail.
- Strong people skills, a keen sense of protocol, and the ability to work comfortably and effectively with top-level government officials of either side of the political spectrum and with association leaders.
- Willingness to travel overnight and attend early morning and evening events on a regular basis.
- A clear reputation for ethical conduct.
- Ability to work in an action-oriented, decision-making environment.
- Reputation for being energetic, bright, hard-working, enthusiastic and for working well with others for positive outcomes. Also, willing to offer opinions and judgments.
- Acute political insight and sensitivity.
- Proactive; able to develop new and creative ideas.
- Proven to be a self-starter and results-oriented.
- An exemplary performance record.
- Minimum 5 years job experience in state government, government relations, public affairs or related business activities is required.
- This position requires up to 50% travel. A vehicle is provided.
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Experience in government service, government relations, regulatory affairs, communications or business trade association.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline is required.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world’s most challenging problems, such as the need for fresh food, safer and more sustainable transportation, clean water, energy efficiency, more durable infrastructure, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow’s integrated, market-driven portfolio delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in 175 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, infrastructure, transportation, consumer care, electronics, and agriculture. In 2016, Dow had annual sales of $48 billion and employed approximately 56,000 people worldwide. The Company’s more than 7,000 product families are manufactured at 189 sites in 34 countries across the globe. References to “Dow” or the “Company” mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- Employee stock ownership – and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
- Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us, you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
Job Posted: April 4, 2017