Director of Advocacy
Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your skills to make a difference, not just a living? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods is working to reduce maternal and child mortality by partnering with governments to deliver effective community health services to people’s doorsteps. We think big but operate lean and nimbly. We believe community health is essential for achieving Universal Health Coverage and focus on ensuring community health workers (CHWs) have the tools they need to drive deep health impact: disruptive digital technology, essential medicines, supportive supervision and compensation.
We both directly manage government CHW networks and also provide technical assistance to governments to strengthen their community health systems and workforces. In 2019 alone, we directly supported more than 10,000 government CHWs to educate, assess, treat and refer for common childhood illnesses like pneumonia, diarrhea, and malaria; ensure children get immunized on-time; and support women through their pregnancies or with choosing voluntary family planning options. These efforts reached nearly 8 million people in Kenya and Uganda with primary healthcare at their doorsteps, at a fraction of the cost of doctors and nurses.
The secret to our success is a winning team. One that enables people to bring their ideas and creativity to work every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, meet challenges with determination and a have a sense of humor, come work for Living Goods! We deeply value diversity, equity and inclusion in both our hiring and promotion practices and believe that this makes us stronger as an organization.
Living Goods has grown 30 percent every year for the past 5 years. We now have more than 450 Living Goods staff, 97 percent of whom are based in East Africa.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to apply your ideas and creativity at work every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, and meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you’ll thrive here at Living Goods.
We’re seeking a results-driven and passionate individual, with a track record of thought leadership in international health and development, to join our organization as the Director of Advocacy. He/she will help build global awareness, momentum, and support for community health and community health workers.
The Director of Advocacy will be a global influencer and thought leader, championing and shaping agendas surrounding community health. The Director of Advocacy will lead the organization’s global advocacy strategy to influence decision makers to increase the prioritization and financing of community health on a global scale and to increase the quantity and quality of community health workers. You will also advise and provide strategic support to our East Africa based government relations and advocacy teams to advance their country and regional-focused and advocacy efforts.
You will serve as an international ambassador, for both the organization, as well as the community health sector more broadly. You will be expected to speak and/or write, champion and share best practices, represent Living Goods in high-level meetings, and pursue innovative opportunities and connections for Living Goods’ leadership.
- Lead the development and execution of Living Goods’ global advocacy strategy with a focus on influencing key government leaders, technical bodies, NGOs, and bi and multi-lateral funders.
- Manage internal stakeholders across multiple teams in a highly matrixed and collaborative fashion: directly manage 1-2 staff and closely collaborate with Country, Business Development, and Communications teams to ensure accountability, strategic alignment, and results.
- Work closely with government relations and advocacy deputy directors in East Africa to provide strategic support to ensure success of country-level advocacy initiatives.
- Mobilize a range of stakeholders globally, and cultivate and leverage champions to generate the visibility, resources, partnerships and policy changes needed to create an enabling environment for community health work.
- Create and manage high-profile engagements on community health policy at the global level, including to raise awareness about the importance of effective community health programs. Leverage the voice and technical expertise of Living Goods staff and supported community health workers and manage all aspects of a range of activities related to policy engagements and events.
- As an external ambassador of the organization, represent Living Goods to key external constituencies. This includes both formal and informal presentations such as speaking at conferences and other high-level gatherings.
- Share and leverage evidence and learnings, deploy strategic communications, speak and publish across influential platforms.
- Track and analyze key global policy developments and trends relevant to community health and lead organizational responses to them.
- Build and manage partnerships, coalitions, and alliances to advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
Essential Qualifications, Experience & Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience working in government, advocacy and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change.
- Knowledge of global health and development issues. Experience with primary health care and community health strongly preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously combined with experience working remotely and with global staff.
- Experience developing and managing efforts to influence policymakers, institutional funders, and other external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical, writing, editing and verbal skills for communicating with broad and diverse stakeholders.
- Creative, energetic and innovative approach to identifying solutions.
- Effective as a collaborator in complex internal and external organizations.
- Ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy.
- Proven ability to build and cultivate strong relationships.
A competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience including health insurance and bonus opportunity. The opportunity to be your best while making lives better for those in need.
Living Goods is an equal opportunity employer and will consider every qualified applicant for employment. Living Goods does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Our current job openings are displayed on our website, where you can search for open positions and apply directly. Living Goods does not offer any positions without an interview and never asks candidates for money. If you are asked for money, we strongly recommend that you do not respond and do not send money or personal information. If offered a role at Living Goods, we’ll request consent to complete a background check, which is part of our hiring process
Job posted: 2020-07-29