Director of Advocacy
About Sepsis Alliance:
Sepsis Alliance is the nation’s first and leading sepsis organization, working in all 50 states to save lives and reduce suffering by improving sepsis awareness and care. Sepsis.org, the organization’s website, serves the needs of more than 2.5 million visitors each year. The organization’s Clinical Community and Sepsis Alliance Institute have provided training to more than 40,000 health providers. Sepsis Alliance Voices and the National Sepsis Registry Initiatives work to engage policy makers on improvement opportunities for sepsis care. Since 2003, sepsis awareness in the U.S. has risen from 19% to 71%. Sepsis Alliance is a GuideStar Platinum Rated charity.
Sepsis is the body’s overwhelming response to infection, which can lead to tissue damage, organ failure, amputations, and death. Sepsis is the #1 cause of death in U.S. hospitals, killing 270,000 people each year in the U.S., or one person every two minutes. Sepsis kills more children than cancer and more adults than breast cancer, prostate cancer, and opioid overdoses, combined. It is the #1 cost for acute and skilled nursing care at $62 billion per year. Sepsis is the most severe complication of COVID-19 that is responsible for most deaths from this infection.
In the United States, differences in health and mortality are influenced by both socio-economic status and race/ethnicity. Black and “other nonwhite” individuals have nearly twice the incidence of sepsis as whites. Blacks bear nearly twice the burden of sepsis deaths relative to the size of the Black population, as compared to whites, and sepsis deaths among American Indians/Alaskan Natives and Hispanics are also elevated as compared to whites. For Sepsis Alliance, health equity means eliminating preventable disparities in sepsis incidence, morbidity, and mortality.
The Director of Advocacy will report to the President & CEO and work closely with the Advocacy Committee, part of the Board of Directors, to advance the advocacy priorities of Sepsis Alliance. In addition, the Director of Advocacy will co-lead the development of a national sepsis data registry with the Executive Director of that initiative. Specific responsibilities include the following.
- Defining a federal and state advocacy strategy for Sepsis Alliance’s major areas of activity, including the National Sepsis Registry Initiative (NSRI); antimicrobial resistance; child and maternal sepsis; sepsis coding and payment; and Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI). The successful candidate may also consider including other areas of focus in the strategy, as well.
- Staffing and participating in Advocacy Committee meetings, working closely with the chairperson, to set and implement the advocacy strategy, with regular reports to the Board.
- Creating a Coalition that supports NSRI with funding, lobbying, and specific technical and clinical expertise.
- Ensuring Sepsis Alliance is visible and engaged with legislators and agencies at both the federal and state levels to educate them on sepsis and seek legislative and regulatory changes in support of the development of better diagnostics and treatments for patients with sepsis.
- Developing relationships with key partners to support advocacy efforts.
- Coordinating with the Director of Communications and the Provider & Advocacy Communications Manager on the promotion of Sepsis Alliance’s advocacy priorities.
- Managing one or more Advocacy Research interns.
- Managing a volunteer committee in the development of NSRI content, communications, and other assigned projects.
- Providing thought partnership to the Executive Director of NSRI in the areas of pilots, convenings, and other activities needed to implement a national data registry.
Sepsis Alliance is committed to developing and implementing programs and initiatives to promote diversity and inclusion in all areas of employment. As part of this commitment, applicants are given the opportunity to answer equal opportunity employment questions. This protected information will only be used to evaluate our recruitment efforts through standard reporting, and will not be shared with hiring managers or other team members. Every applicant has the option not to disclose this information.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-07