Director of Communications
The Boston Society for Architecture (BSA) seeks a talented and savvy leader and doer to drive the organization’s communications and marketing. The Director of Communications will be an agile and knowledgeable communications professional who is adept at – and inspired by – building out and executing strategy. The director must be equally comfortable conceptualizing ideas as actively participating in translating them to meaningful outcomes. The BSA is undergoing exciting new program growth, which will be highly dependent upon the success of its integrated communications, and the director will be responsible for ensuring that the BSA’s communications function helps advance the organization’s ambitious agenda.
In addition to its programmatic agenda, the BSA must enhance and grow membership in all categories while simultaneously building affinity amongst other key constituents including the larger building sector, donors, partners and prospective partners, community members, and other relevant stakeholders locally and on a larger stage. In this regard, the director will also operate the communications function as an internal agency serving the tactical imperatives of the BSA.
The opportunity for the newly hired director to elevate and drive communications within the BSA’s unique culture will be an inspiring and motivating opportunity for the right candidate. The BSA has a belief in the power and relevance of communications as core to mission success and a willingness to invest in what’s necessary to drive successful outcomes. The organization furthermore welcomes bold, entrepreneurial, goal-oriented thinking, and is nimble in its ability to move ideas forward.
The BSA has a small internal communications team who, along with the director, will need to deliver on the overall vision. The director will be a senior member of the BSA and reports to one of the BSA’s co-Managing Directors.
· Seven (7) years of senior-level communications experience.
· Broad knowledge of and diverse experience with the strategic, tactical, and creative components of communications. Digital acuity. A savvy multi-channel marketer.
· Desire to and experience operating both at altitude bringing vision and momentum to initiatives, while also personally loving to churn work product. A utility player.
· Great planning, organizational, and problem-solving abilities. Intuitive ability to manage multiple projects of various scales at various stages simultaneously.
· Experience with and dedication to mentoring and growing the skills and success of team members. A belief in nurturing talent.
· Naturally curious. A successful-problem-solver with a good sense of humor and perspective.
· Excellent interpersonal skills. Consummate relationship-builder.
· An outstanding listener, writer, and presenter.
· A strong desire to change the world!
Exact language for applicants on how to apply for the job:
The BSA is passionate about fostering an inclusive and respectful work environment and values diversity is all its forms. Applicants of all race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, education, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, veteran status and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
Job posted: 2021-10-25