Director of Communications
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Communications will be responsible for developing, implementing, and evolving integrated and complex communications strategies that position the LA Promise Fund to inform, engage, and retain its varied constituencies, increase awareness of its mission, and raise funds.
The Director of Communications is responsible for aligning all internal and external communications with the LA Promise Fund mission and brand. This position works to develop, plan and direct marketing and public relations programs designed to cast the organization in a favorable light with the public, especially potential donors, volunteers and sponsors.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Develop and execute top-to-bottom communication strategies (email campaigns, e-newsletters, and additional outlets) and efforts to reach LA Promise Fund school communities, donors, and the public, advancing the agencies mission, programs and fund development
- Manage the timely creation, production and distribution of all communications collateral with a team of graphic designers, printers, web designers, photographers, interns, other creative resources and vendors consistent with the LA Promise Fund brand
- Develop and implement web marketing and social media strategies. Manage the LA Promise Fund’s primary and secondary websites as needed
- Coordinate with program staff on alignment in brand and messaging among program websites, materials, social media, etc.
- Write and distribute newsletter articles distributed via e-blasts and generate earned media opportunities — crafting and distributing releases, serving as liaison to the media, pitching relevant stories, coordinating media training for media ambassadors, updating press packets, etc.
- Database management for various communication platforms and for media contacts
- Manage internal communication updates to LA Promise Fund staff and stakeholders to include monthly updates
- Develop marketing collateral and where appropriate place buys or advance distribution
- Interface with Board of Directors on communications strategies, material development, and marketing
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to support fundraising efforts including development of materials and marketing for annual fund campaigns and special events
- As needed, support various LA Promise Fund programs
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- BA/BS required, Masters in Business Journalism, Marketing or Communications preferred
- 7+ years experience in the communications, marketing and/or journalism fields
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Self-starter, collaborative, and creative problem-solving mindset desired
- Strong written, interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Ability to edit and hone messages for multiple communications platforms
- Effective in interacting with multiple constituencies
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Fluent computer skills including database, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, online communications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of public education and experience with K-12 schools is a plus
- Strong project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects, delivering timely, quality products. Ability to manage team and consultants to achieve outcomes
- Familiarity with web content management systems
- Proficient on social media to advance awareness and generate support
- Ability to generate visually appealing materials, graphic design experience and familiarity with Adobe Photoshop is a plus
- Ability to garner resources to achieve the goals of the Communications Department and the mission of the agency
- Commitment to mission of LA Promise Fund
Salary commensurate with qualifications, experience and education. Excellent, full benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-07-24