Director of Communications
The National School Boards Association (NSBA) is seeking a dynamic and motivated leader with a proven track
record in strategic communications and media relations (traditional and social). A professional communicator
who is proactive, a strategic and forward thinker, and an exceptional writer. The ideal candidate will have
strong media contacts and relationships with education and federal policy journalists, producers, opinion
writers and editors. The Director of Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing an
integrated communications program for NSBA. This person will play a significant role in driving
communications initiatives across the association including the national campaign, federal, and legal advocacy.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Develop and implement an integrated communications plan that strengthens the brand and advocacy
• Develop and execute media relations (including traditional and social media outlets and platforms)
plans for specific initiatives.
• Lead internal communication efforts, resulting increased awareness among members and staff.
• Produce weekly, monthly and quarterly communications reports; including KPIs.
• Lead efforts to increase website user experience and social media engagement.
• Engage members of the media to advance story ideas, generate interview opportunities and secure oped placements.
• Develop ideas and materials for the media including key messages, releases, op-eds, pitch letters, fact
sheets, social media posts, and other content.
• Develop and grow members of the communications team.
• Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with members of the media; maintain an updated media
• Minimum of seven (7) years communications experience, with agency experience
• Experienced supervisory background
• Excellent prioritization skills
• A capacity to partner and coordinate with peers throughout the association
• Experience overseeing a broad portfolio of projects; demonstrated ability to manage multiple
• Direct experience and successful track record of delivering creative, strategically thoughtful projects
that deliver measurable impact.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should send resume, cover letter & salary requirements to: NSBA, Attn: HR/Director of
Communications. Resumes may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2020-10-08