Director of Communications
Transgender Law Center (TLC) is the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people. Grounded in legal expertise and committed to racial justice, TLC employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation. (www.transgenderlawcenter.org)
Transgender Law Center seeks a dynamic, experienced Director of Communications who is inspired by the opportunity to work at the heart of a movement that employs a variety of community-driven strategies to keep transgender and gender nonconforming people alive, thriving, and fighting for liberation. TLC has doubled in budget, size, and reach in the past few years, and in that time scaled up our communications work to meet organizational and movement needs.
Supervising a 2-3 person department with established infrastructure (including a new website and online advocacy toolset), the next Director of Communications will have a solid foundation to innovate and shape the next chapter of TLC’s external work. The ideal candidate enjoys combining high-level strategy with hands-on implementation, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to transgender and gender nonconforming (TGNC) liberation and racial justice. Flexibility, strong organizational skills, and a nuanced understanding of TGNC communities – with a commitment to centering Black and indigenous communities of color – will be key for success in this role.
This role requires skill and experience in crafting messaging and communications strategies with trans leaders of color, people living with HIV, disabled communities, migrant leaders, Southerners, youth, and elders.
The Director of Communications will serve on the organization’s leadership team and be responsible for all elements of planning, leading, managing and ensuring implementation of TLC’s communications strategy, including:
- Organizational leadership: Serve as a key member of the Directors Team with shared responsibility for achieving the organization’s vision and goals.
- Department and staff management: Manage the department in a fiscally sound manner; manage hiring, supervising, coaching, and developing communications staff; hire and oversee contracts of vendors; prepare annual plans, quarterly board reports, budgets, and evaluation of communications activities.
- Brand management: Develop and implement strategy to increase TLC’s visibility with key audiences while maintaining consistency and adherence to brand across the organization.
- Media relations: Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of Transgender Law Center’s priorities, programs, legal victories, organizing efforts, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Public education: Oversee messaging research projects with collaborative organizations and consultants and maintain portfolio of talking points on key issues. Train allied organizations and spokespeople on the latest messaging findings and maintain Transgender Law Center collateral with up-to-date messaging.
- Digital strategy: Lead TLC’s digital staff in engaging and growing TLC’s base online with a strategy for reaching, educating, and mobilizing transgender people and allies towards a Trans Agenda for Liberation that centers Black and indigenous people of color. Oversee organizational website, CRM, online advocacy tools, social media accounts, email marketing, and other digital assets and campaigns.
- Represent TLC: Build external relationships and collaborations, serve as an organizational spokesperson, and maintain a robust roster of staff and community members prepared to speak on behalf of the organization and to TLC priority issues.
- Narrative intervention: Monitor coverage of trans people, emerging narratives, and partner organizations’ messaging strategies, and amplify or intervene as needed.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Proven ability to communicate, engage, and build relationships with community members and media representatives that demonstrates a commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice, and an understanding of the communities TLC represents
- 5-10 years of experience in nonprofit communications
- Supervision experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of public relations software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word
- Ability to sort multiple priorities and respond to the needs of a fast-paced work environment
- Experience working in teams with people from a variety of racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual, gender, and generational backgrounds
- Strong level of emotional intelligence
- Experience with communications related to litigation a plus
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range is $85,000 – $105,000 depending on candidate’s experience and skills, as well as location of residence. Benefits include comprehensive health (medical, dental, vision and FSA), matched retirement savings, three weeks’ vacation, sick and family leave, and sabbatical program.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit your application as promptly as possible. We cannot respond to telephone or email inquiries.
Transgender Law Center is proud to be an affirmative action employer. Black people, People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender nonconforming, or intersex are particularly urged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-09