Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Position: Director of Communications
Reports to: President and CEO
Organization Description: For the last 17 years, the Voter Participation Center (VPC), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) civic-engagement organization, has led the way in harnessing the power of the Rising American Electorate (RAE) – unmarried women, people of color, and young people – as a vital voting bloc. Through direct mail and digital efforts, VPC has registered more than 5.7 million Americans to vote in its history and played a key role in the 2020 elections. VPC has positioned itself as the leading experimental and scientific civic-engagement organization by accumulating more than a decade’s worth of knowledge and experience in registering and turning out the new majority of eligible voters.
VPC’s partner group, the Center for Voter Information (CVI), is a separate but affiliated 501(c)(4) nonprofit that works to engage and persuade both the RAE as well as the broader electorate.
Position Description: VPC and CVI are seeking a full time Director of Communications. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director of Communications will collaborate with all members of the VPC and CVI teams to ensure a consistent brand voice across internal and external constituencies. The Director of Communications will be responsible for developing and implementing a mission-focused communications strategy which includes all VPC and CVI online, digital and direct mail programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Develop and implement a dynamic mission-focused communications strategy to improve and increase positive earned media including TV, radio, print and social media
o Strategy should ensure increased visibility of VPC, CVI and all VPC and CVI programs
● Collaborate with VPC and CVI staff to craft speeches and public presentations in addition to ensuring a consistent brand voice for all communications and marketing materials across a wide range of messages
● Maintain an organization-wide content calendar for all communications and marketing, including but not limited to social media posts and press releases
● Generate all external communication materials including but not limited to social media posts, press releases and op-eds
● Provide copy editing as needed by VPC and CVI team members for materials including but not limited to Board memos and donor communications
● Report on performance of all external communications including website analytics and marketing campaigns
o Analysis includes success measurements relative to peer organizations
● Respond to and manage all media requests in a timely manner aligned with positive brand voice
● Provide media training, interview preparation, and talking points for VPC and CVI senior staff and Board Members to promote the VPC and CVI brands
● Monitor news mentions of VPC and CVI, share coverage with VPC and CVI teams, and amplify on VPC and CVI channels when appropriate
● Build and maintain relationships with VPC and CVI influencers, a database of media contacts, and a library of media materials
● Manage crisis communications with VPC and CVI senior leadership team and vendors
Education and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field
● 7-10 yrs of experience managing communications function of a small to medium sized organization to include planning and execution of communications programs, goal setting, and planning
● Experience managing communications and marketing in a foundation or nonprofit preferred
The ideal candidate will have:
● Experience on electoral or advocacy campaigns
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time-management skills
● Excellent organizational, management, and interpersonal skills and strong research skills
● Advanced skills with social media and website management including databases and CMS
● A temperament that values and genuinely enjoys a highly collaborative and team- oriented environment
● Ability to work independently in a multi–layered team environment fostering positive partnerships, teamwork, and cooperation
● A commitment to erasing the gaps in political participation in this country
● Familiarity with the civic-engagement and progressive political landscape
● A track record of getting results in a fast-paced environment
Salary range $100,000 to $110,000. This is a full-time position. Preference for candidates in Washington, DC, once the pandemic is over. Ability and willingness to travel required post-pandemic (0 – 25% of time). VPC/CVI offers an excellent benefits package, including 100% coverage of healthcare premiums.
To apply, email resume, cover letter and at least three professional references to email@example.com . References are not contacted until you are notified.
VPC/CVI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We strongly value the leadership of people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and other traditionally marginalized communities, and encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Job posted: 2020-12-14