Director of Communications
TechNet is the national, bipartisan network of technology CEOs and senior executives that promotes the growth of the innovation economy. TechNet’s diverse membership includes dynamic startups and the most iconic companies on the planet and represents over three million employees and countless customers in the fields of information technology, e-commerce, the sharing and gig economies, advanced energy, cybersecurity, venture capital, and finance. TechNet has offices in Washington, D.C., Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Sacramento, Chicago, Austin, Boston, Olympia, Albany, and Tallahassee.
Based in Washington, D.C., the Director of Communications is responsible for executing TechNet’s short-and long-term communications strategy, including digital and online strategy, and will serve as the primary media contact for the organization. Duties include producing and executing communications plans to highlight policy and political initiatives to external audiences and member companies, while also supporting the advocacy of the federal and 50-state programs. The ideal candidate will have experience working with the media, existing relationships with key national, regional, and trade reporters, experience developing and executing a comprehensive digital media strategy, and premier writing and editing skills. This role is responsible for shaping the public conversation about the technology industry and highlighting the important role TechNet member companies play in our nation’s economic prosperity. The position reports to the Senior Vice President of Operations and Strategic Initiatives. Salary is commensurate with experience.
· External communications: Draft and pitch news stories, press releases, statements, op-eds, and blog posts
· Internal communications: Oversee weekly policy and communications newsletters to policymakers, member companies, the media, and strategic partners
· Develop and execute communications plans around legislative priorities and major events
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with national, regional, and trade reporters covering public policy and the technology industry
· Prepare the President and CEO and other TechNet senior staff for media interviews, panel discussions, and other public engagement opportunities
· Manage TechNet’s website and social media accounts
· Help create and maintain strong relationships with member companies, policymakers, technology thought leaders, partner organizations, and other stakeholders
· At least eight years of experience in policy or political communications
· At least three years of experience managing digital marketing campaigns and online media strategies including elements such as short videos, social media strategies, and graphic design
· Proven internal and external communicator with exceptional written and oral communications skills
· Demonstrated record of success in advancing organizational goals and messages by communicating effectively and strategically in the media
· Extensive knowledge of the rapidly evolving media landscape, including digital and social media
· Tested interpersonal skills with a history of success in highly collaborative and team-oriented roles
· Highly organized and detail-oriented, capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment
· Proficiency with social media and digital content creation
· Proficiency with HTML, CSS, and web design platforms desired, but not required
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples (including a published op-ed) to Silvia Ochoa at email@example.com.
Job posted: 2021-01-07