Director of Communications
Tracking Code493-928Job Description
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is seeking a creative, strategic, detail-oriented, and passionate leader to serve as our Director of Communications. The Director is a key role at the country’s largest LGBTQ civil rights organization – a unique organization with a storied history and fresh leadership poised to redefine the organization for the next generation.
The Director will help steward the organization’s brand, build the public profile of HRC and its campaigns, engage the public through earned and paid media, and advance the issues of LGBTQ equality in the public dialogue.
The Director is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies that advance organizational goals and amplify HRC initiatives as well as managing a team of industry-leading communication professionals.
The Director works closely with the executive team, including the HRC President, Alphonso David. The Director of Communications will craft strategy, develop breakthrough messages, identify rapid response opportunities, and oversee the daily operations of the communications team and its budget.
Ideal candidates will have exceptional communications skills, experience leading high-performing teams, the ability to balance long-term goals and day-to-day demands and expertise working with national media.
The Director of Communications will work with the Senior Vice President of Communications and Marketing to provide strategic direction on organizational communications, ensure tasks are consistently and swiftly executed at a high level, and manage a smoothly functioning communications team. The Director will also provide communications and media expertise to program areas throughout HRC. Specific responsibilities include:
- Communications Strategy: Create and execute a holistic organizational communication strategy that includes earned media, owned media, paid media, and digital/social media. Engage with executive team and program directors to develop strategies to support organizational goals.
- Media relations: Develop and implement effective media relations strategies and tactics. Position HRC to react in breaking news stories and rapid response moments. Develop and maintain strong relationships with national media, including LGBTQ and BIPOC media, and key reporters, editorial writers and columnists, and broadcast producers.
- Thought leadership: Help shape the public conversation about LGBTQ issues and our community, reaching new audiences and stressing the intersectionality of the movement.
- Team and resource management: Serve as a thoughtful manager, mentor and supporter to team of 10+ mid-level and junior communications staff. Plan and administer the departmental budget. Manage external consultants.
- Research and message development: Guide quantitative and qualitative message research and develop corresponding messages and talking points. The Director will ensure that HRC materials across program areas and departments reflect organizational positions and are framed persuasively.
- Principal management: Develop a principal communications strategy. Work closely with HRC President on strategy and brand. Staff HRC President and other executive team members as needed.
- Build relationships: Serve as the main point of contact for communications with campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners, including celebrity representatives.
- Produce Materials: With the communications team, write and edit speeches, opinion pieces, press releases, statements, and other materials in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Spokesperson: Act as an on-the-record and background source as needed.
- 10+ years of experience with exceptional strategic communications skills.
- Demonstrated record of success in advancing organizational goals and messages by communicating effectively and strategically in the media.
- Extensive knowledge of the rapidly evolving media landscape, including digital and social media.
- Superb interpersonal skills, with an impressive history of forging strong and positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously in a high-volume, fast-paced environment.
- Successful track record of managing, coaching and developing high-performing teams.
- Exceptional writing and public speaking skills.
- Strong commitment to and interest in the rapidly changing LGBTQ equality movement and a working knowledge of LGBTQ issues.
- Ability to lead, model and embed, equity diversity and inclusion principles within their team and across the organization.
- Strong and demonstrated relationship-building skills and established relationships with national media, including LGBTQ media.
- Good political judgement and a grounding in politics – campaigns, government, or advocacy.
- On-the-record experience preferred.
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires frequent evening and weekend work to respond to breaking news. Must be willing to travel at least 15% of work time.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) required, Master’s Degree preferred.
The Director of Communications is a regular, full-time position which reports directly to the Senior Vice President (SVP) for Communications and Marketing and is based in Washington, DC.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at: https://grossmansolutions.applytojob.com/apply
The cover letter should be concise, compelling and outline why you are the right person for this position. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Job posted: 2021-01-25