Director of Communications
Full Job Description
FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) is seeking a Director of Communications to support our efforts to grow with FARE’s brand and reputation as the world’s leading food allergy patient advocacy organization and largest private source of funding of food allergy research.
The Director Communications will be instrumental in developing and editing content in a variety of formats in support of multiple program areas. The successful candidate is an experienced writer who has the demonstrated ability to translate research, science, and medical content for consumer audiences in a way that is easily understood, compelling and suitable for a variety of delivery platforms including newsletters, web articles and educational materials.
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Act as primary booker and program director for organization’s biweekly podcast including coordination and script/programming development.
- Support communications strategy and write copy for organization events (virtual and in-person).
- Support and sometimes lead rapid response PR efforts.
- Prepare media releases, draft opinion editorials, talking points, speeches, scripts and assist with special projects as needed in support of FARE events.
- Act as an internal reporter, coordinating with staff across the organization and writing content and articles for publication across various media and channels.
- Assist with content development for various materials that convey FARE’s story, impact, and case for support.
- Support awareness campaigns as needed.
- Media pitching.
- Media monitoring
- Responsible for supporting, managing, and driving earned media strategy including content and delivery.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Must have experience with working with C-Suite.
- PR and advocacy communications, inbound/outbound media/pitching, media release development, talking point and message development, writing/editing, communications strategy, podcast production, executive/speech writing, and vendor/agency support.
- Familiarity with use of social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Clubhouse, etc.) to promote the mission and message of a cause-driven organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey FARE’s mission to diverse groups including donors, members, and the public.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with AP Style preferred.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or a related field and a minimum of five years communications experience.
- Experience crafting content and messages for a cause-driven organization, specifically in the public affairs, health, science, research, or medical field. Agency experience a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Qualified applicants interested in joining our dynamic organization should submit completed employment application and resume to: email@example.com. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. Should you be selected as a potential match to one of our openings, a member of our Human Resources team will be in touch directly to discuss next steps. Thank you.
Job posted: 2021-04-12