Director of Communications
Whether it’s reaching new amputees with critical recovery information, fighting for fair insurance laws or providing daily tips to make living with limb loss easier, the work of the Amputee Coalition is impacting lives every day.
MISSION AND KEY TENETS:
To reach out to and empower people affected by limb loss to achieve their full potential through education, support and advocacy, and to promote limb loss prevention.
Our Key Tenets:
Limb Loss Is Not Uncommon and Becoming Less Uncommon Every Day.
The Amputee Coalition works to raise awareness about and increase practices to prevent limb loss.
No Amputee Alone
The Amputee Coalition works to ensure that no amputee feels alone through pre- and post-amputation and recovery.
Living Well with Limb Loss
The Amputee Coalition works to help amputees and their family live life to the fullest after amputation.
Based in Washington, DC (with team members in Knoxville, Tennessee) and reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Communications will be a passionate, innovative leader with extensive experience leading transformational communications departments. Our dedication to the communities we serve and our ability to infuse creative problem solving into our solutions are cornerstones to our future success. We have our eye out for a Director, Communications who brings a combination of successful non-profit and business approaches to our work, our culture and our organization.
The Director of Communications is an integral member of the Amputee Coalition’s Leadership Team and is responsible for developing and guiding the strategy of all communications including website, social media, public relations messages and collateral pieces to communicate our mission with consistency. The Director of Communications will ensure that the Amputee Coalition and its National Limb Loss Resource Center are seen as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information for people impacted by limb loss and limb difference.
The Director of Communications will work closely with the Leadership Team and build upon the Amputee Coalition’s leadership position in the limb loss community to develop and execute communication strategies that will enable the organization to reach its goals and further the mission of the organization. The key objective of the Director of Communications will be to create deeper awareness and familiarity in the community, key opinion leaders, advocates, volunteers and donors about the Amputee Coalition and its National Limb Loss Resource Center.
- Serve as creative leader, project manager, editor, and principal writer for a wide range of print and electronic projects including annual reports, brochures, website, newsletters, social media platforms, case materials, press releases, and other materials
- Lead the Communications team in developing plans that ensure that all events, brochures, advertisements, announcements, etc. communicate the vision and mission of the organization
- Develop and maintain the organization’s brand/style guide and brand identity including the standardization of messaging across all platforms and connecting the online experience with off-line, in person connections Coach staff members and volunteers in this area.
- Oversee the teams work with internal stakeholders and external consultants, when necessary, to implement and manage on a day-to-day basis a master communications plan that promotes the organization’s larger vision and mission
- Oversee the management, hiring, and development all external vendors used for communications, e.g., graphic artists, website developers, videographers, editors, etc.
- Manage the writing, editing, design, layout, and production of quarterly magazine
- Lead outreach to external partners and media outlets; serving as the primary media contact for the organization and all related events
- Track our progress by regularly monitoring and reporting communications metrics against organization and department KPIs. Uses that knowledge to recommend and implement campaigns and outreach strategies.
- Oversee and manage the Communications budget
- Be present at and serve as chief media contact during organization level events including the national conference, youth camp, and limb loss education days
- Lead and coach the communications team on how to effectively communicate the organization’s vision and programming.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- At least 3 years of successful experience in a management role building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications professionals.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, literature, and other print publications and directories.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications and media relations program to advance an organization’s mission and goals.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
Additional Qualifications for all Amputee Coalition Employees
- Organized, self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Quality driven
- Integrity, confidentiality, and professionalism
- Credibility, accountability and mission dedication
- Team focus and flexibility
- Outgoing, energetic, and comfortable presenting to various group sizes
- Passion for the Amputee Coalition’s mission
Amputee Coalition is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you are interested in applying for this incredible opportunity, please send a resume and a letter outlining your interest in the role, with salary requirements. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you are interested in applying for this incredible opportunity, please send a resume and a letter outlining your interest in the role, with salary requirements. Please apply with the following link:
Job posted: 2021-07-14