Director of Communications
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, and we’re dedicated to this mission across every aspect of our company. As part of the Microsoft Global Employee and Executive Communications community, you’ll join a group of professionals focused on creating communications and experiences to keep employees informed, engaged and proud to be at Microsoft.
Are you a communications professional with a passion for storytelling and reaching audiences in creative ways? Would you like to experience first-hand the transformation our customers and partners are undertaking across the world? Are you an entrepreneurial spirit looking for a fast-paced environment? If so, the Office of the EVP and Chief Commercial Officer has an opportunity for you.
We are looking for a seasoned communications professional that can own and drive internal and external communication strategy for the newly unified Microsoft Customer and Partner Solutions commercial go-to-market organization. Your goal is to maximize the scale, impact, and voice of Microsoft’s EVP & Chief Commercial Officer and help define how he engages with our team of 60,000 employees around the globe provides thought leadership to customers and partners.
You are self-motivated, self-directed and accountable. You thrive in a fast-paced environment. You work well in a team and in ways that drive high quality results. You demonstrate initiative, creativity, excellent interpersonal skills and are a strong writer.
You provide leadership to three comms managers who drive the day-to-day execution of the communication plan. You are also part of the vibrant and passionate community of communications professionals in the company and partner closely with a wide range of stakeholders including the MCAPS leadership team, HR, and PR. You will also frequently interface directly with customers and partners as we seek to tell their stories.
- Drives strategy for the development and maintenance of an executive(s) platform and voice, aligned to team, business, and organizational objectives.
- Leads the development and implementation of editorial strategy and calendar to support platform and alignment to business goals and desired outcomes for the executive(s).
- Oversees the development and delivery of internal and external communications for senior executive levels, including briefing materials, scripting/messaging for briefing materials, scripting/messaging for internal keynotes, presentations, media engagements, social media, and events. Drives the use of current and relevant templates and materials and the improvement of same; builds on effectiveness of previously used materials. Drives interactive engagement where appropriate.
- Leads team to develop and deploy strategy for employee communications aligned to the strategic priorities for organizational and geographical employee goals. Ensures alignment to corporate employee communications focus areas and priorities. Supports leader communications including all-hands, SharePoint sites, org emails, etc.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to senior leaders on employee communications issues and strategies of a specific organization or geography. Determines the metrics for success for the team and the plan to measure and inform team strategy by utilizing data and insights from internal surveys and feedback channels. Leads team to create and manage content that is current and aligned with internal and external relevant corporate guidance (e.g., legal and policy regulations, financial). Sets the strategy for the adoption and use of new technology and tools to help facilitate two-way dialogue between leaders and employees.
- 12+ years of experience in Corporate Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or other related area.
- Communication skills: Ability to create clear and concise communications in the right “voice” that results in compelling presentations/emails and in meetings with employees, partners, customers, developers, and others.
- Audience understanding: Ability to understand the needs of each audience (e.g., employees, key partners, customers, etc.) and create effective communications to reach those audiences
- Prior people management skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team and across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple business partners, including cross-group teams, virtual and global teams, vendors and agency partners.
- Proven track record for new, innovative approaches and smart risk taking.
- Strategic thinking and counsel: Ability to understand business trends, stay on top of developments and corporate strategy, and advise on communication opportunities (both planned and impromptu). This includes continuing to drive the development of strategic “thought leadership” for the org and leader.
- Executive presence and ability to work with highly confidential information
- Previous experience in a C-suite / Executive office in a communications role
- Experience working with or in a marketing or in a PR Agency
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, Finance, or related field. Related work experience may be substituted for education.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-18