Director of Policy
Ardelyx is a publicly traded biotech company focused on improving the lives of patients by developing and commercializing first-in-class targeted therapies that advance patient care. Using our discovery model, Ardelyx scientists have characterized new biological mechanisms and pathways that have enabled us to develop a pipeline of drug candidates to manage complications related to kidney and cardiovascular diseases. Our lead candidate, tenapanor, is a first-in-class small molecule therapy for the treatment of hyperphosphatemia in adult patients with chronic kidney disease on dialysis. If approved, tenapanor could completely change the treatment paradigm in a disease state with significant unmet need. We are advancing the build of our commercial organization to be prepared for launch of tenapanor in mid-2021.
Purpose of the role:
The Director of Policy will work with the VP, Government Affairs & Policy to develop the Company’s public policy and Administrative branch engagement strategy for all marketed and to-be-marketed products. S(he) will be responsible for designing and implementing tactical plans to further the company’s positive positioning from a healthcare policy perspective. S(he) will work closely across Ardelyx’s business units, stakeholders, and partners.
- Partner with the business to integrate public policy solutions into the business strategy and business planning process.
- Ensure that Federal rules and regulations do not unfairly limit or hinder patient access to treatment and promotes a positive policy environment, while establishing Ardelyx’s position as a credible
- Foster ongoing relationships with Agency staff and other external stakeholders such as patient advocacy groups. This will include organizing and supporting educational events and meetings to increase understanding of the company’s business and the
- Guide and represent Ardelyx on regulatory affairs with policymakers in government agencies, including their respective
- Manage and build outstanding relationships to support Ardelyx’s position as a respected, reliable, and credible thought leader and contributor on hyperphosphatemia, chronic kidney disease, end stage renal disease, and dialysis. Lead Ardelyx’s policy interests and responses to policy issues in Washington, DC and in individual
- Develop advocacy strategies designed to support key business objectives and Ardelyx’s core strategy of supporting patients in the hyperphosphatemia, chronic kidney disease, end stage renal disease, and dialysis
- Deploy state-of-the-art stakeholder engagement strategies for informing key Ardelyx constituencies and drawing their support for policy issues and
- Monitor policy developments affecting Ardelyx’s business, and effectively anticipate and address such policy developments with strong and well- coordinated advocacy strategies drawing on Ardelyx’s broad stakeholder relationships and thoughtful policy solutions.
- Coordinate closely with Ardelyx’s leaders of clinical, regulatory, legal, and market access to ensure effective strategy and policy advocacy on US regulatory and Medicare/Medicaid and other healthcare policy
- Closely coordinate with the marketing and communications teams to support PR strategies building awareness and support for Ardelyx’s reputation and for appropriate policies that expand patient access to needed
- Remain on the forefront of competitor and policy initiatives relevant to CKD, ESRD, and dialysis; particularly policy issues related to bundled payments and
- Bachelor’s degree Master’s or professional degree in public policy, government affairs, public health, health economics, business, or related field, preferred.
- A minimum of 8+ years’ government affairs/policy roles, ideally at a pharmaceutical or biotech company, and ideally with companies with therapeutics focused on CKD and ESRD patients .
- Track record of critical thinking skills and integrating healthcare policy initiatives into the business strategy and planning process. Demonstrable evidence of cross-functional collaboration around projects and
- Demonstrated ability to develop and advance policy initiatives at the Federal and State levels through working with diverse stakeholders, including patient advocacy
- Ability to spot trends and opportunities in order to translate them into actionable healthcare policy-related opportunities and business plans. Forward thinking and proactive approach on regulatory and public policy issues.
- Excellent advocacy skills and ability to positively influence. Articulate and thoughtful, able to adapt communication on complex issues for different
As a member of the Ardelyx team, you will play a key role in developing and bringing to market first-in-class medicines to better the lives of underserved patients. It’s the patients in need that motivate and inspire us to be relentless and work hard every day. They push us to maintain a clear focus on scientific and clinical integrity with a commitment to medical innovation so that we can deliver exceptional medicines. We are different for good.
Ardelyx, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-02