Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Political Communications, Stand Together Communications
As the Director of Political Communications, you will work directly with Americans for Prosperity (AFP), the nation’s leading grassroots advocacy and accountability organization, and AFP Action, to develop integrated communications strategies to support candidates who have the vision and strength to take on our country’s biggest challenges. This individual will also play a critical part in continuing to define the communication strategies and approaches that set AFP and AFP Action apart.
This role is housed within the Stand Together Communications team, which exists to empower those dedicated to the betterment of themselves and others. We believe that, with the right mindset and support, anyone can improve their life and meaningfully contribute to the lives of others.
Your responsibilities include
- Develop and drive a communications and earned media strategy for candidate endorsements, ad campaigns, grassroots engagement, and other opportunities.
- Develop and sustain powerful candidate messages, storylines, and narratives, in coordination with the broader political team.
- Work with AFP and AFP Action political and research teams to coordinate timelines, identify key threats, opportunities, and ensure all communications materials are accurate and factual, and support our principles based approach
- Increase positive brand and candidate awareness and recognition, and ensure all materials are consistent with the AFP and AFP Action brand
- Coordinate and work with partners across the integrated marketing and communications team and vendors to provide guidance on digital, content, research, event, and partnership needs.
- Prepare principals for media interviews to help ensure key messages are consistently conveyed
- Develop strategies to pitch and place stories in national, state, and local news outlets
- Cultivate relationships with key media outlets and reporters
- Work with key stakeholders to develop messages, press releases, statements, and other communications materials necessary to best position the organization
Knowledge and Skills You Bring to the Organization
- 10-12 years’ experience in strategic communications, public relations, or political campaigns
- Passionate about communications and media relations with finger on the pulse of the latest candidate and campaign cycle trends to ensure results are effective and measurable
- Must be a strategic thinker with experience conceiving and leveraging relationships
- Demonstrated strength in building, managing, and motivating high-performance teams
- Ability to build strong collaborative relationships with a diverse range of partners
- Excellent communication skills and a proven ability to influence at multiple levels of the organization
- Proven ability to think ahead, problem solve, engage proactively and take initiative
- Strong process-minded planner who can determine deadlines, logistics and operational plans for multi-dimensional programs and events
- Ability to shape and harness qualitative and quantitative research to drive good economic decision-making
- Strong analytical skill set, capable of analyzing and reacting to results-oriented data
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing and verbal communications skills, including presentation skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-25