Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of State Communications
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is the leading advocacy organization working to reduce tobacco use and its deadly consequences in the United States and around the world. Through strategic communications and policy advocacy campaigns, Tobacco-Free Kids works to change public attitudes about tobacco and promote proven policies that reduce tobacco use and save lives.
Tobacco-Free Kids is seeking a Director of State Communications to lead development and implementation of communications strategies in support of state and local policy advocacy campaigns. Responsibilities include managing multifaceted communications campaigns that include media relations, advertising, direct mail, social media, campaign websites, phone programs and other tools. The Director of State Communications should be a strong strategist, writer and manager of projects, teams and outside vendors.
This position is based in Washington D.C. and reports to the Vice President of Communications.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH:
- Lead the development and implementation of communications strategies in support of state and local policy advocacy campaigns, utilizing the full range of communications tools.
- Coordinate closely with Vice President of State Advocacy, Regional Advocacy Directors and coalition partners in developing and implementing these strategies.
- Oversee the work of communications vendors, including for earned media, advertising, phone programs and others.
- Manage the development of advertising (digital, print, radio and television) and direct mail.
- Draft, edit and distribute earned media materials, including press releases, statements, op-eds, letters to the editor and editorial board memos. These include materials for use by both Tobacco-Free Kids and partner organizations/advocates.
- Work collaboratively with and provide strategic and technical assistance to state and local tobacco control advocates and coalitions, including the development of communications plans and materials.
- Conduct media outreach and field media calls on state/local issues and campaigns. Arrange interviews with appropriate staff and provide requested info to the media.
- Plan and implement press conferences and other media events.
- Manage communications activities for release of annual state tobacco settlement report.
- Draft and keep updated website materials related to state and local issues and campaigns, working with website development team.
- Stay current about tobacco control issues, advocacy campaigns and key messages. Identify potential news hooks and develop strategies and materials to achieve media coverage.
- As needed, manage election-related communications strategies of the Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund related to state and local campaigns.
- Help with speechwriting for annual Youth Advocates of the Year Awards Gala.
- Help with reporting to funders on state and local activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS YOU’LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 7 years of relevant communications/public relations experience.
- Experience in developing and implementing communications strategies in a policy advocacy, political or government context.
- Excellent writing, editing and project management skills.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and coalition partners.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Some travel required.
- Commitment to the issue of tobacco control.
WHY JOIN THE CAMPAIGN FOR TOBACCO FREE KIDS?
- You will be a part of a respected global health advocacy organization that works to create meaningful change through policy changes and save lives in our neighborhoods and in communities worldwide.
- You’ll receive a generous benefits package including:
- 100% company-paid health and dental for you; 70-80% contribution to these coverages for your dependents.
- Paid parental leave benefits (4 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave), in addition to federal and local leave provisions.
- 403b plan participation (with 9% company contribution)
- 10 paid company holidays, 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 5 personal days (on an accrual basis each calendar year)
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe our programs are strengthened when they are developed and supported by individuals with diverse life experiences, whose understanding of social and cultural issues can help make The Campaign’s work more inclusive. We encourage qualified applicants of all ages, racial, economic, social, cultural, sexual orientation, ability and gender expressions, national origins and veteran statuses to apply.
The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and its Global Health Advocacy Incubator program represent our collective efforts to strengthen public policies which reduce tobacco use and its deadly toll in the United States and around the world, as well as other public health threats contributing to death and disease. Our organization has a singular focus: to make the world a safer, healthier place for everyone. Candidates are encouraged to review our website at https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/
Job posted: 2023-05-25