Director, Oncology and Specialty, International Public Affairs
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This position is responsible for overseeing International Public Affairs strategies and tactics to drive AbbVie’s business in Oncology and Specialty Care, including Virology and Neuroscience.
The role reports to the Senior Director, International Public Affairs and has accountability for the outcome of communication and patient relations activities within Oncology and Specialty, that have an impact on the broader reputation of the Company.
The role sits on Oncology and Specialty leaderships for Global Marketing and Commercial Operations (GMCO), Global Commercial Development (GCD), as well on the respective TA Strategy Councils (TASCs) and relevant Asset Strategy Teams (AST), to contribute to the development of business strategies and acts as a strategic counsellor to these teams.
This role also must work very closely with all relevant departments within AbbVie, particularly Corporate Responsibility, Communications and Brand, Marketing, Medical, Regulatory, Government Affairs, Market Access, HEOR and others, as relevant. The role manages three direct reports and an annual budget of ~$3MM.
Specific functions performed include strategic stakeholder engagement for Oncology and Specialty, oversee affiliate launch readiness and conduct general affiliate preparedness. The role also oversees media relations and issues management for the respective TAs.
- Manages and develops a public affairs team responsible for developing communications strategies and plans that support overall business objectives for on-market and pipeline compounds.
- Has functional accountability over affiliate launch success for Oncology and Specialty medicines
- Has functional accountability over global brand plan execution for Oncology and Specialty marketed medicines.
- Provides strategic counsel and contributes significantly to the decisions of management, Oncology and Specialty leaderships, global brand teams and other internal stakeholders on courses of action to address proactive opportunities and manage issues.
- Links brand and therapeutic area public affairs strategies to overall CRBC strategic roadmap priorities.
- Works collaboratively with Areas and Affiliates, leading the co-creation of therapeutic area programs/plans against a strategic communications plan that advances brand reputation, shapes the healthcare environment and advances understanding of priority disease areas and the success of AbbVie medicines as defined by the global brand teams.
- Analyzes the surrounding environment and gathers stakeholder insights to inform global strategic planning, objectives and key business decisions.
- Anticipates potential issues and develop/implement appropriate actions to protect the Company and brands he/she is responsible for.
- Works closely with media from relevant countries to build an understanding and appreciation of the therapeutic area, brand(s), the Company and business priorities. Establishes media engagement plans that elevate the reputation of the brand(s), as per the priorities defined in collaboration with the brand teams. Acts as spokesperson where relevant.
- Develops and leads strategic patient advocacy programs, builds rapport and manages relationships with prioritized advocacy groups and patient organizations.
- Can oversee the strategy and execution of internal communication programs on behalf of the global teams.
- Facilitates internal global best practice sharing on brand communications.
- Consistently measures the success of the initiatives developed against the set of goals and integrates the learnings back into strategy design seeking permanent improvement.
- Supervises PR firms, outside vendors, contractors, etc.
- Responsible for talent development and succession planning for direct reports.
- Manages the department budget; oversees PR spend of several million dollars.
- Complies and is an advocate for the company’s policies and procedures to meet statutory, quality and business requirements within the overall strategy and objectives of AbbVie.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, marketing or related field.
- Minimum 10-15 years of directly relevant communications experience with international healthcare and/or industry experience required.
- Very strong business and marketing acumen.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and executing insight-driven, strategic and measurable external public relations programs on behalf of pharmaceutical and/or consumer products.
- Proven track record of working with senior executives and leading teams.
- Strong understanding about the value of public relations and its role in the integrated marketing mix.
- Ability to provide strategic counsel for a variety of communications scenarios and to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven creativity, strategic, analytical and leadership capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams and with multiple internal and external stakeholders; influence/negotiation skills and relationship management capabilities a must.
- Experience counselling senior business leaders on diverse, high profile and financially-material topics.
- Proven experience in issues/crises management.
- Strong interpersonal skills to quickly build rapport and credibility with AbbVie affiliates and leaders as well as other key internal and external stakeholders.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Job posted: 2020-12-28