Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director or Senior Director, Policy and Public Affairs, California & Western US
Chamber of Progress
Chamber of Progress, a new center-left tech industry association devoted to technology’s progressive future, is seeking a Director or Senior Director, Policy and Public Affairs, focused on California and other Western U.S. state and local governments.
- Lead the organization’s policy and public affairs strategy for California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada and additional Western states
- Organize and drive public affairs campaigns to influence policy debates in state legislatures and city governments, including grassroots, grasstops, earned media, research, and public opinion polling
- Marshal policy, political, and legal arguments regarding pending legislation
- Write letters, blog posts, statements, and testimony analyzing the impacts of proposed legislation
- Testify before state and local policymakers in California and other Western region states
- Serve as an aggressive and vocal advocate for innovation among policymakers
- Represent the organization among state and local officials on technology policy issues (including privacy, e-commerce, content moderation, and competition policy); financial policy (fintech, cryptocurrency); and civic innovation (autonomous vehicles; new transportation modes; housing and property technology; the sharing economy; delivery services; and labor policy).
- Engage in social media rapid response on regulatory news
- Engage with state and local elected officials on the organization’s policy agenda
- Build relationships with Democratic policymakers and elected officials
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 8 years (Director level) or 12 years (Senior Director level) of post-college work experience
- Must be located in California, with frequent travel to Sacramento and other Western US state capitals
- Prior experience driving policy or regulatory campaigns
- Willingness and flexibility to travel regularly for work
- Aggressive mindset and bias toward action
- Experience with policy analysis
- Experience in Democratic politics or progressive causes
- Outstanding writing abilities: Must be a creative, succinct, and fast writer
- Experience in state or local government is useful, but not required
- Compensation dependent on experience level
- Director Level (8-12 years of experience): Range of $100,000 – $130,000
- Senior Director Level (12-15 years of experience): Range of $130,000 – $160,000
- Medical, dental, vision, 401(k) benefits included
About Chamber of Progress
Chamber of Progress (progresschamber.org) is a new center-left tech policy industry coalition working to help usher in a progressive high-tech future and ensure that all Americans benefit from technological leaps.
We’re not just another business group. Everyone knows that a local “chamber of commerce” promotes business and free markets. We’re an industry group, but instead of focusing on commerce, Chamber of Progress is promoting a progressive high-tech society, economy, workforce, and consumer climate.
Chamber of Progress supports public policies promoting:
– Economic progress, including combatting income inequality; promoting a bigger, modern social safety net; encouraging progressive taxation; and supporting reliable, win-win online marketplaces;
– Social progress, including promoting inclusive democracy; supporting bold action against climate change; promoting digital opportunity for all; and advocating for healthy and equitable online communities.
– Consumer progress, including promoting the principle that tech should always serve consumers’ interests; “building back better” by investing in communities and regulated innovation; increasing access to goods and information; and balancing consumer and worker concerns.
Chamber of Progress is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
Job posted: 2023-05-21