Director of PA Government Relations
PHEAA is a nonprofit student aid organization that holds a mission of providing affordable access to higher education
Give back tomorrow by joining us today!
PHEAA is seeking a Director of Pennsylvania Government Relations to join our team! This position is a senior level legislative affairs director with primary focus as the lead liaison with the General Assembly, external agencies, schools, foundations and other partners of the Agency. This role directs activity related to all state legislative outreach programs and partners closely with PHEAA’s Director of Federal Relations as well as other key leaders of the Agency.
Salary: Commensurate with experience ($64,132-$109,025)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Legislative Affairs & Public Relations
- Respond to inquiries from legislators, congressional members, and PHEAA Board members regarding their constituents.
- Lead legislative liaison work on legislation having fiscal, program, or legal implications on the functions of the organization.
- Act as a liaison and consult with external agencies, foundations, schools and other partners to assist with legislative compliance.
- Work with the General Counsel/Board Secretary and CEO on escalated requests from board members
- Work with the SVP of Federal Relations on Federal Legislation and Regulations that have an impact on the Commonwealth.
- Key contact for Pennsylvania colleges and universities throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as well as with college and university associations in PA including AICUP, PAPSA, PASSHE, and the PA Commission for Community Colleges.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with Leaders’ Offices of the General Assembly, and rank & file members of the General Assembly and their staff.
- Develop and enhance employee competence and effectiveness by providing on-going guidance, mentoring, feedback and motivation to staff while adhering to division and PHEAA policies and procedures.
- Responsible for interviewing candidates, hiring, writing and delivering annual performance evaluations, promotions, and terminations as necessary.
- Create a culture that fully engages employees and empowers others to suggest and make decisions for continuing improvement.
- Keep team well informed of changes within the organization and general corporate news.
- Ensure team has the appropriate tools and resources necessary to accomplish their assigned tasks.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- May serve as an alternate member for Public Affairs on the Agency’s Critical Incident Management team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelors degree in political science, business or related field; 10+ years experience working with public agencies and legislative affairs, including executive leadership experience in public sector and experience working with senior governmental leaders (e.g. Governors, Cabinet Secretaries, Senators, Representatives and their staff).
- Demonstrated proficiency influencing others.
- Proven success at setting challenging team goals, and designing systems and processes to measure results.
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate highly effective teams.
- Documented record of success in progressively more challenging positions demonstrating the capability to move from a producer role into a mentor/leadership role.
- Knowledge of best business practices, methods of business administration and public administration.
Preferred Qualifications: Masters Degree in Public Administration, M.B.A., or related field.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-23