Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy Advocacy
At the Community FoodBank of New Jersey, we employ a dedicated team with diverse talents, backgrounds, and perspectives united by one fundamental belief: that no one in our state should go hungry. Are you ready to make a career move that matters? CFBNJ is looking for passionate individuals to support our mission, enabling the distribution of millions of meals annually to more than 800 community partners (food pantries, soup kitchens, child and senior feeding programs, etc.) across 15 counties as we aim to ensure that all our neighbors have access to the food they need to lead healthy and active lives. Our team works tirelessly for holistic solutions that connect struggling families with critical resources while addressing hunger’s root causes through workforce development and public policy initiatives.
Make a real difference for those in need as our Director of Policy Advocacy. As a vital team member in the fight against hunger, you will receive competitive pay, medical, dental, vision, 401k, paid life insurance, holiday pay, and paid vacation and sick time.
The Director of Policy Advocacy position is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated, mission-focused leader in policy advocacy. Reporting to the Impact Leader, the Director works to educate, motivate and empower a broad spectrum of anti-hunger stakeholders to promote solutions to hunger and advance the organization’s anti-hunger policy agenda and advocacy goals. Working within a fast-paced environment, this position requires a self-motivated individual with a solid understanding of and interest in hunger and poverty issues, and with substantial experience in policy analysis and working and communicating with a variety of audiences.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Leading CFBNJ’s policy advocacy work, including researching, developing, and implementing public policy-related strategies to support positions on federal, state, and local policies that are effective in addressing and ending food insecurity and its causes.
· Establishing and strengthening CFBNJ’s thought leadership among and across federal, state, and local policy leaders and staff, and across national, state, and local community organizations aligned with CFBNJ’s mission and vision.
· Working with CFBNJ’s contract lobbyists to identify, build and broaden key relationships with elected, appointed, and emerging public policy officials and staff at all levels of federal, state, and local governments.
· In partnership with relevant CFBNJ staff and lay leaders, developing opportunities for advocacy leadership among key stakeholders, including CFBNJ’s network of charitable food assistance providers.
· Leading and organizing CFBNJ’s work in local-level coalitions to end hunger, contributing guidance to strategic collaborations that amplify local stakeholders’ efforts.
· Liaising with national anti-hunger policy organizations, such as Feeding America and the Food Research and Action Center, to coordinate advocacy efforts on federal anti-hunger programs and related policy.
· Coordinating with NJ’s regional food banks on advocacy strategies and tactics to advance shared policy priorities at the state level.
· Other duties as assigned.
Essential skills and experience:
· Three to five years’ experience in advocacy, public policy or policy analysis work at the director or equivalent level required. Experience with anti-hunger and/or anti-poverty programs preferred.
· Significant federal or state government or issue advocacy experience, political campaign experience, or equivalent experience in public policy required.
· Excellent project management skills.
· Ability to think creatively and strategically as part of a team and within broad coalitions.
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, with the ability to quickly digest and summarize complex information.
· Ability to collaborate fluidly and effectively up, down, and across the organizational structure.
· Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-15