Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Policy and Research
Job Title: Director, Policy and Research
Reporting to: Senior Vice President, Policy and Research
Position: Full-time; Exempt
Organizational Summary: The Climate Leadership Council (CLC) is a 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to promote the most effective, fair, and politically viable climate solutions.
Position Overview: The Director, Policy and Research will serve as a policy expert for the Council and the Center for Climate and Trade. This person will help conceive of, oversee and direct research products and policy development. The position will work on all major policy workstreams for the organization including, but not limited to, carbon pricing, border carbon adjustments, and carbon clubs. The Director, Policy and Research will manage work of colleagues and outside consultants. The Director, Policy and Research will have external facing opportunities including representing the organization in meetings with government officials and their staff; collaborating with business, environmental organizations, and other organizational stakeholders; and speaking at conferences.
- Research and analyze federal and international climate policy, with a particular focus on policy solutions that leverage the power of market forces.
- Work with existing partners and other external stakeholders and contributors, including by discussing and presenting policy design and impacts, leading group meetings, and in some instances working to find consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Cultivate strategic relationships with stakeholders, researchers, and policy and advocacy organizations to support the overarching goals of the organization.
- Identify, secure, and manage outside contractors, consultants, and influential scholars to conduct and publish research for the Council and the Center; manage contractual agreements and related processes, actions, and measurables for consultants.
- Represent Council work in meetings with Members of Congress, Hill staff, Administration officials as directed.
- Work with the Senior Vice President, Policy and Research/Executive Director of the Council’s Center for Climate and Trade to execute the research and policy agenda that shapes the public conversation on market-based climate solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with demonstrated expertise in national and international climate policy research and analysis. Experience in consulting firms, law firm, think tanks, policy institutions preferred.
- Experience and expertise in project management with ability to effectively manage outside consultants and complicated timelines.
- Superior knowledge of climate and/or trade policy.
- Experience working on or analyzing energy/environmental policy modeling.
- Relationships to significant research and advocacy organizations a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, meet pressing deadlines, anticipate needs, and adjust in a changing environment.
- Strong verbal and written communications and the ability to present in a group setting.
- Most importantly, we are seeking individuals who are highly ambitious, focused on positive outcomes, eager to work collaboratively while remaining resilient in a challenging political arena, and operate with impeccable integrity.
This position is based in DC in a traditional office setting, subject to the organization’s telework policy. Currently the organization is operating in a hybrid environment.
Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience; full benefits package.
Apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Climate Leadership Council is committed to fostering an equitable, diverse, and inclusive working environment. The Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status and other such factors in accordance with U.S. state and federal laws.
Job posted: 2023-05-16