Director, Policy Communications
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest
Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert
research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based
organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels.
For more than 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking
common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community
stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook,
Instagram, and Twitter.
The Director of Policy Communications is a leadership communications expert who will serve as
the primary lead for informing and shaping UnidosUS policy positions for external audiences,
including through press releases, issue briefs, publications, and digital content. The ideal
candidate will have extensive experience in media relations related to federal and state
legislative policy, including expertise in or familiarity with one or more of the following:
immigration, education, health, economic empowerment, civic engagement, and/or civil rights.
The Director of Policy Communications will work within a fully integrated Communications and
Marketing component and will liaise with the Policy and Advocacy component on a regular
basis. This position requires existing relationships with national media and on Capitol Hill. The
Director of Policy Communications will report directly to the Deputy Vice President of
Marketing and Communications and is based in Washington, DC.
• Use political expertise to analyze current media landscape and maximize earned media
opportunities meant to influence public opinion in alignment with our national and
state policy positions.
• Develop short- and long-term strategic communication plans to advance key policy
campaign priorities that maximize and build upon our digital and traditional media
• Serve as a bridge between the multiple campaigns for enhanced coordination,
collaboration, and leveraging of communication resources.
• Establish and maintain procedures and processes to ensure that activities are carried out
consistently, efficiently, and in accordance with brand standards.
• Strategically work within the MarComm team to develop and/or deploy MarComm assets
to support short and long-term policy and advocacy goals.
• Support the production of communication outputs that are consistent with UnidosUS
policy posture, voice, tone and style, including drafting, editing, and disseminating:
o Speeches and presentations
o Briefing memos
o Messaging guides and talking points
o Press releases
o Web and social media copy, other digital media
o Blogs, articles, and other publications
• Collaborate across the MarComm team to ensure alignment across activities and
• Identify and mobilize resources needed to ensure successful and timely execution of
plans, including leveraging resources, consultants, and staff across campaigns.
• Establish and maintain processes to ensure that activities are carried out consistently,
efficiently, and in accordance with brand standards.
• Advise and prep senior leaders on public engagement, speaking, and media
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, public affairs, marketing, or
related field, or equivalent work experience required.
• Twelve (12) to sixteen (16) years expertise knowledge of federal legislative policy and
advocacy specific to UnidosUS issue areas.
• Seven (7) years of extensive relationships with and experience pitching national media
• Political and/or advocacy campaign experience required.
• Experience working for an elected official and/or in a political environment is preferred.
• Steadfast commitment to UnidosUS mission, vision, and values
(Excellence, Respect, Accountability).
• Familiarity and commitment with the U.S. Latino community, Latino nonprofit
organizations, and the Latino market a plus.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills a plus.
Employment with UnidosUS is contingent upon successful completion
of a background screen.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter and résumé will be considered for
SEND COVER LETTER AND RÉSUMÉ TO:
Subject Line: Director, Policy Communications
Attn: Yvette A. Núñez, DVP, MarComm
No phone calls please!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without
regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political
affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
Job posted: 2021-01-12