Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy and Engagement
What you’ll do…
ABOUT THE COMPANY
H&R Block, Inc. (NYSE: HRB) provides help and inspires confidence in its clients and communities everywhere through global tax preparation, financial services and small business solutions. The company blends digital innovation with the human expertise of its associates and franchisees as it helps people get the best outcome at tax time, and better manage and access their money year-round. Through Block Advisors and Wave, the company helps small business owners thrive with innovative products like Wave Money, a small business banking and bookkeeping solution, and the only business bank account to manage bookkeeping automatically. In addition, H&R Block provides an affordable, accessible mobile banking technology, Spruce Money, to aid individuals and families in managing their money.
ABOUT THE TEAM
H&R Block’s Government Relations team, based in Washington, DC, develops and manages the company’s public policy, regulatory and community relations efforts. It does so by coordinating with internal stakeholders to both assess governmental risks and opportunities and determine the company’s position on key policy issues. The team is comprised of members covering federal, state, and local advocacy, PAC, and community relations.
As Director of Policy and Engagement, the successful candidate will develop and execute comprehensive and integrated strategies for achieving H&R Block’s external relations objectives, ensuring alignment with government relations and policy priorities. This person will be charged with building and reinforcing trusted relationships with key stakeholders to support and enhance the company’s public profile. In addition, this person will support our political action committee, BlockPAC, engagement efforts with colleagues and associates. In this capacity, this person will initiate and execute all PAC communications to colleagues. This person will also focus on building and maintaining a network of validators through relationships with external third-party organizations that shape and influence public policy. She/He will align project requirements and deliverables with the strategic and tactical goals of the government relations team and the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an integrated strategy that builds the company’s reputation with third party groups and key stakeholders and can mobilize quickly, as needed, in anticipation of policy developments that may affect the business
- Forge relationships with industry associations, academics, community leaders, and other stakeholders to add value, stay current and advance the company’s interests
- Build awareness of company priorities through appropriate framing of policy messages in collaboration with government relations colleagues and other associates
- Work with the communications team to develop proactive messaging to shape policy issues that matter to policymakers
- Lead and proactively manage relationships with leading academic and research institutions, consumer advocates, and industry and tax practitioner groups, to create a third-party network and build the company’s external profile as thought leaders
- Work with Government Relations and The Tax Institute to develop policy research and analysis ideas and promote those products to third-party partners
- Identify opportunities to creatively bank goodwill for the company by supporting strategic initiatives of third-party partners
- Develop innovative strategies to achieve policy and engagement goals and objectives and ensure alignment and coordination with government relations strategy and tactics
- Project management of third-party programming, effectively managing initiatives from start to finish, as well seeing selected on-going projects through to completion
- Lead annual PAC fundraising campaigns internally with eligible associates
- Create regular newsletters and other communications to PAC supporters
- Develop in-district events and visits to headquarters by elected officials
- Communicate directly with company leadership and franchisees
- Support execution of government relations budget with Chief Government Relations Officer
- Measure and analyze quantifiable data and use for future planning of public policy initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
What you’ll bring to the team…
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years of government relations or political experience
- Strong influencing skills and proven ability to manage politically sensitive policy issues
- Strong planning, organization, and decision-making capabilities; must be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, resolve conflicts and solve problems with minimum supervision
- Working knowledge of tax, financial services and/or consumer issues
- Demonstrated decision-making, analytical, and problem-solving abilities
- Track record of establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Effective written, presentation and persuasion skills. Ability to communicate with all levels of internal associates, external vendors, and business partners
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and project planning tools
- Knowledge of PAC fundraising software platforms (i.e. DDC) a plus
- Tax or financial services background Preferred
- Advanced or master’s degree Preferred
About H&R Block…
H&R Block’s purpose is simple: To provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere. We’ve been true to that purpose since brothers Henry and Richard Bloch founded our company in 1955. Since then, we’ve grown to have approximately 12,000 offices throughout the United States and around the world.
We are a people company first and a tax company second. People who join H&R Block say it feels like being part of something bigger. A place with an amazing and storied history, but with a strong and urgent focus on the future. Maybe it’s how determined, forward thinking and innovative we are, or how accessible our leadership is. We believe it’s all those things, and much more.
H&R Block is committed to diversity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. All qualified applicants are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-31