Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Policy and Government Affairs
Purpose: The Director of Policy and Government Affairs works with the Chief Advocacy Officer and Legal Department to develop and execute an impactful and comprehensive government relations, immigration policy, and “thought leadership” strategy at the federal and state level in Texas to advance RAICES Advocacy strategic goals.
- Oversees the development of public policy priorities at the state and federal level in collaboration with other relevant staff;
- Navigates new policy and geographic areas and identifies the key issues, and develops and executes a strategy;
- Develops weekly policy updates to RAICES staff to keep everyone in the know about relevant policy developments;
- Collaborates with the RAICES Legal department on gathering and interpreting data and trends that inform our policy positions and advocacy priorities;
- Initiates and cultivates relationships with federal policymakers and their staff, proactively, and ensures RAICES’s policy stances are known;
- Drafts official written material: op-eds, blog posts, policy proposals, comments on legislation, formal correspondence, etc;
- Represents RAICES and our vision to protect the human rights of immigrants and refugees to the broader political and policy community effectively;
- Represents RAICES at policy conferences and other forums;
- Develops summaries of important legislation and regulation for the Advocacy department and collaborates with communications staff on rapid response press statements;
- Collaborate with the Communications Department on rapid response press statements and analysis; and
- Manages and oversees the RAICES Policy Team
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, History, International Relations, Public Policy, or a relevant field;
- 7 years experience working in policy and government and political affairs, with 3 of those 7 being in immigration policy.
- Masters Degree in Political Science, History, International Relations, Public Policy or relevant field.
- Graduate educational certifications in public policy, government or relevant field
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-03